17 - Deceived

Ti'ywan felt her heart stop when she saw a giant shark-like fish attacking Lo'ak underwater. She immediately called out to her Skimwing, who got there fast. She dove down from the sky into the water and quickly grabbed the Skimwing's reins, going after Lo'ak. The monster was circling around him, trying to get to where he was hiding between the coral structures. She had her mount bite its tail fin and diverted its attention away from her brother, who was slowly running out of breath. 

The fish eventually grew tired of chasing her and turned its attention back to Lo'ak, who was fully exposed, as he was trying to get to the surface for air. She quickly swam to Lo'ak, praying to Eywa she'd make it before the thing did. As she went past it, however, it headbutted her Skimwing and launched her off. She hit her head against a rock and instantly blacked out, sinking deeper while leaving a trail of blood behind.

Pukk, who was watching it all from the sky dove into the water and grabbed her with his legs, rescuing her. Lo'ak saw it all and quickly regretted diverting his attention as the sea predator was charging towards him. The last thing Lo'ak saw before he blacked out from lack of oxygen was something even bigger killing the thing that attacked him.

"Ywanie, babygirl, wake up!"

Jake was desperately trying to resuscitate her while they waited for Ronal to arrive. Jake was fishing with Tonowari near the village when they saw Pukk flying towards the village, carrying an unconscious Ti'ywan. Jake was horrified when he noticed that they were leaving a blood trail behind them on the water's surface. They quickly swam after them and Jake almost fell as he tripped while running towards Ti'ywan when Pukk landed and laid her on the ground. 

Soon Ronal came running and took over, effortlessly getting the water out of her lungs and treating her head injury. Ti'ywan briefly regained consciousness, but all she could muster to say before blacking out again was...

"Lo'ak"

Jake and Tonowari gathered a few na'vi to search for Lo'ak. It was already nighttime when Neteyam dragged Ao'nung to Jake and Tonowari and yelled at him to tell them what he had told him. It was about how they took Lo'ak beyond the reef, pretending to be friends with him after he apologised to Ao'nung. Then they ditched him there, thinking it would be fun to watch him try to find his way back.

Tonowari signalled for the other to widen the area of the search beyond the reef and soon enough, they found him. Lo'ak thanked one of the Metkayina for giving him a ride and braced himself when Jake and Neytiri arrived. His father was first and foremost concerned about his well-being, quickly checking for any severe wounds, and relaxing only after he saw he was fine. Neytiri on the other hand was quickly becoming angry.

"I pray for the strength  that I will not the eyeballs out of my youngest son!"

She snarled before she gestured with her hand how she wanted to truly pluck his eyes out. Lo'ak just silently dodged it while he kept on staring at Ao'nung, angry about being ditched beyond the reef after they deceived him.

"My son knows better than to take him outside the reef, the blame is his"

Tonowari spoke in a deep voice, putting his hand on the back of Ao'nung's neck and forcing him to kneel in apology.

"Okay, let's go"

Jake accepted the apology without hesitation, wanting to move on so he could go check on Ti'ywan, who was still unconscious.

"No, this is not Ao'nung's fault, it was my idea and he tried to talk me out of it, really, I'm sorry"

The parents shared a sympathetic look before the Sullys left for their abode. On the way to their house, Lo'ak spoke.

"Dad, you told me to make friends with these kids-"

"I don't wanna hear it"

"But dad-"

"You brought shame to this family, once again endangered Ywanie"

The boy sighed, hurt by his father's words.

"Can I go now?"

"Any more trouble, I jerk a knot in your tail, you read me?"

"Yes sir, Lima Charlie"

He dismissed Lo'ak with a grunt before both he and Neytiri turned their attention to Neteyam.

"Where were you?"

"Yeah, what happened to keeping an eye on your brother?"

"Sorry sir"

"You should be more like Ti'ywan, at least she was there to protect him"

With those words, Jake hurt both of his sons, leaving them once again ashamed and hurt. As for Ti'ywan, her scolding had to wait for a few weeks, as she took her time healing. Ronal told them the trauma to her head had been too great for her to wake up anytime soon, so it was given the Sullys would cry when she woke up several weeks after the incident. By then Jake had forgotten all about the scolding and was just glad she was finally awake as he hugged her tightly with Neytiri.