11 - Inner conflicts

"Oh shit! What are we going to do? She's going to win!"

"Fuck, I don't have any plus 2s or 4s, Colonel! Save us!"

"You go Ti'ywan! Kick their asses!"

"Shut up Spider!, Whose side are you on?!"

"Ti'ywan's, you dumbass!"

"There ain't no chance of her winning on my watch kiddos! Draw 4, lil'Tigress!"

"Hehehehe, you fools, did you really think I didn't have a backup plan?"

"No..."

"No way!"

"Not possible!"

"My last card is...a plus 4 card! Screw you all! I won again!"

Ti'ywan triumphantly jumped onto the table and threw her last card at Quarritch's face before kicking off all the other cards as she performed a victory dance. Spider celebrated with her and gave Colonel and his men a lot of middle fingers. It had been a few days since they let Ti'ywan out of her isolation and they were playing games in the barracks with the avatar team. The kids had been bored and annoying the past few days due to a quarantine protocol activating. Some scientists got some sort of sickness from a plant they studied in the laboratory and since it was an unknown disease and no one was sure if it wasn't contagious, they locked down the entire facility until they could figure it out. Ti'ywan confirmed that avatars couldn't catch it, however since the protocol didn't account for a different species being part of the staff, they were forced into it as well. Ti'ywan was now an undefeated champion in Uno and the whole team was going mad over how it was impossible to win every single game, yet she overcame the odds.

"Suck it, all of you! I'm the best!"

She laughed maniacally in their faces before getting tackled by the only female avatar there. She ruffled her hair and wrestled with her for a bit before the na'vi girl overpowered her. The bystanders laughed but were inevitably reminded of the girl's incredible strength. So far only the Colonel was able to subdue her by himself when she decided to run or attack someone. And that happened several times before they made the deal.

Despite ultimately being enemies that will kill each other one day, they were enjoying the downtime forced upon them, for now. They all felt slightly bitter about their status towards the two captives. Could have made a great team or a friend group, were the circumstances of their meeting different. Were they not a leverage to eliminate Jake Sully.

It took two weeks and a lot of convincing before the avatars were allowed out of quarantine and when they finally were, they all went for a flight on their Ikrans, Ti'ywan included. She was greatly surprised they were willing to take the risk and let her fly with Pukk freely, but that just showed how close they'd become. Ti'ywan's heart ached somewhat, knowing that if she chose to just fly away, their trust in her and the companionship would be betrayed. However, on the other hand, this was a prime chance to go find her family. She didn't enjoy the outing much, unlike everyone else, consumed by her conscience and turmoil inside her head.

"Hey Tigress, what's up, how come you didn't enjoy the flight?"

At times like these she wished Quarritch wasn't so perceptive...and kind. He was her enemy, yet he did the best he could to make her imprisonment comfortable within the limits of his command. Just why did he have to go after her father? The answer clear as day, yet hardly acceptable to her.

"I just want to go home"

That was all she could muster, her thoughts fighting over what to say first. Longing for home had won. The Colonel sighed, unbeknownst to Ti'ywan, he was torn too. He knew what his mission was and he wanted revenge against Jake, but getting to know the little Tigress, who was his beloved daughter, had brought him to a crossroad. He knew one day he'd make a choice he'd regret, for now, he had no idea what I'd be, but he dreaded the day when it came.

They sat in silence, left to their thoughts. Neither could speak up their mind, afraid they'd upset the other.

"I'm...gonna go to bed"

"Yeah, goodnight"

She left, slowly walking towards the barracks as the unease won over. She sighed and jumped onto the top bunk, staring at the ceiling for hours before falling asleep. If only she had never gotten caught.

Quarritch stayed up all night, thinking about his current life and what he truly wanted. Where could the course of life lead him and if he had to even complete his mission. That idea was utterly ridiculous and had it been him a few weeks ago, he would have laughed and probably punched himself. Now? He didn't know. Everything was veiled in uncertainty and as he became an independent person from his former human self, he discovered himself to be between two vastly different worlds and the choice to join either would have severe consequences, yet he cannot stay unaligned.

His team was confused when they found him at the hangar in the morning, he didn't even hear them walk in. They lightened up his mood with some banter and pushed away his worries for now. Picking up the kids for breakfast wasn't necessary today as they found them already stuffing their faces at the canteen when passing by. Teasing them about how they looked came naturally and made all of them lively and ready for the day's mission.