2: Episode 4, Phantom Traveler

Dean was startled awake by the motel room door opening and instinctively reached under his pillow before realizing it was just Sam with what Dean could only assume was coffee and breakfast.

"Morning, sunshine," Sam grinned at him, looking far too refreshed for the morning.

Dean relaxed. "What time is it?"

"Uh," Sam thought for a moment, "it's about five forty-five."

"In the morning?" Dean clarified.

"Yep." Sam gave him a nod, setting the drink tray and the brown paper bag down on a small, circular table near the window.

"Where does the day go?" Dean sat up with a grin.

He caught a glance at Sam's bed on the other side of the room and had to do a double-take when he saw someone in it. After a brief moment of inspection, he realized it was Percy curled up and still knocked out.

"When did Sleeping Beauty get over here?" He asked, nodding at the youngest of the three. Percy had started out the night sleeping in the adjoining room, and Dean wasn't sure when he'd migrated over to where the brothers were sleeping.

"Like an hour ago," Sam answered.

Dean frowned. "Did you get any sleep last night?"

"Yeah," he shrugged, "I grabbed a couple hours."

"Liar. 'Cause I was up at three, and you were watching a George Foreman infomercial," Dean called him out.

"Hey, what can I say? It's riveting TV," Sam defended himself.

Dean rolled his eyes as he continued, turning his head towards Percy, "And apparently you were awake enough at four to let that one in here. What's the deal there, by the way?"

Sam shrugged. "He showed up knocking and asked if he could come in. Seemed pretty shaken up about something. He fell asleep at the desk, so I moved him to my bed. He's been out since."

At least one of them slept. Dean frowned at his brother. "When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?"

"I don't know," Sam sighed, "a little while, I guess. It's not a big deal."

"Yeah, it is," Dean argued.

"Look, I appreciate your concern—"

"Oh, I'm not concerned about you," he laughed humorlessly, "It's your job to keep my ass alive, so I need you sharp. Seriously, are you still having nightmares about Jess?"

With a sigh, Sam grabbed two of the coffees, handing one to Dean as he sat at the foot of his stolen bed with the other. "Yeah. But it's not just her. It's everything. I just forgot, you know? This job. Man, it gets to you."

"You can't let it," Dean shook his head, "You can't bring it home like that."

"So, what?" Sam challenged. "All this, it...never keeps you up at night?"

His eyes widened when Dean shook his head, but he continued, "Never? You're never afraid?"

"No, not really," Dean shrugged cockily, but Sam reached under Dean's pillow and grabbed the large knife before his older brother could stop him. Sam raised an eyebrow, but Dean just snatched the knife back and told him, "That's not fear. That is precaution."

"Alright, whatever. I'm too tired to argue," Sam responded, reaching across the bed to give Percy a gentle shake when Dean's phone rang violently and startled Percy awake instead. His eyes shot open as he sprung forward off the pillow, his hand reaching towards his pocket before he remembered where he was and caught himself. He ignored Sam's look of concern and tried to listen to the phone call that Dean was already halfway through while he took deep breaths and tried to steady his racing heart. Who knew a phone call would give him such an adrenaline rush in the morning?