13: Episode 15, The Benders

This is technically an early update but I just really wanted to post this chapter bc it's one of my favorites lmao. Again, take mercy on me and suspend some disbelief in regards to the police.🙏🏻 Enjoy!!

Percy wasn't sure that the Winchesters made the best choice in having him as the scribe, but he supposed he wasn't old enough to attempt to be a sheriff like they were. Nonetheless, he did try his best to take coherent notes as the three of them stood with a woman named Mrs. McKay and her son in her living room in Minnesota.

"I know you're just doing your job, but the police have been here all week already. I don't see why we have to go through this again," Mrs. McKay sighed. "The more he tells the story, the more he believes it's true."

"Mrs. McKay, we know you spoke with the local authorities," Sam started.

Dean finished his sentence, "But, uh, this seems like a matter for the state police, so..."

Sam offered a kind smile to the woman's son. "Don't worry about how crazy it sounds, Evan. You just tell us what you saw."

"I was up late, watching TV," he told them, "when I heard this weird noise."

"What did it sound like?" Percy pitched in, ignoring Dean's scolding look.

"It sounded like...a monster."

Mrs. McKay sighed again. "Tell the officers what you were watching on TV."

"Godzilla Vs. Mothra," he told them sheepishly.

Dean grinned at him. "That's my favorite Godzilla movie. It's so much better than the original, huh?"

"Totally," Evan nodded enthusiastically.

"Yeah," Dean jabbed his thumb in Sam's direction. "He likes the remake."

The child looked incredibly disappointed in Sam. "Yuck."

Sam shot his brother a glare and effectively shut him up. "Evan, did you see what this thing was?"

"No," he answered, "but I saw it grab Mr. Jenkins. It pulled him underneath the car."

"Then what?"

"It took him away. I heard the monster leaving," Evan frowned as he recounted the story. "It made this really scary sound."

"What did it sound like, Evan?" Sam asked.

"Like this...whining growl."

Sam and Dean exchanged a look that, as per usual, meant nothing to Percy. They thanked the McKays for their time and headed out shortly after.

"So do you guys have an idea of what it is?" Percy asked once they were outside.

"Can't name any whiny growlers off the top of my head, no," Dean answered as he pulled open the driver's side door to the Impala.

"Do we even believe the kid's story?" Sam climbed into the passenger seat.

Percy followed suit. "Jenkins is missing. The kid seeing him get grabbed would be an insane coincidence."

"Wouldn't be our first," Dean scoffed, "but I agree. It's getting dark, though, so I say we take a breather for the night."

"You just want to go to that bar we passed on the way up here," Sam frowned.

Dean glared at him and started the car. "Sue me."

*****

Percy ultimately ended up not joining the Winchesters at Kugel's Keg despite the fake ID that Dean had made for him. They parted ways in the parking lot after Percy's claim that he could walk to the motel from the bar. It was only down the road, after all—hardly even five minutes.