16: Episode 21, Salvation

Learned upon writing this that Salvation is not a real place in Iowa.

John allowed his sons to look around his motel room, covered in charts and photos and newspapers and books and his own personal notes and more regarding the yellow-eyed demon that he'd been searching for. Percy was asleep in John's spare bed, hopefully serving as a final moment of rejuvenation after the vampires. John himself sat at the desk in the corner, the Colt resting beside him as his youngest leaned against the counter and his eldest paced the room.

"So, this is it. This is everything I know," John told them, "Look, our whole lives, we've been searching for this demon, right? Not a trace, just...nothing. Until about a year ago. For the first time, I picked up a trail."

"And that's when you took off," Dean finished, stopping his pacing to face his father.

"That's right. The demon must have come out of hiding, or hibernation," John reasoned.

"Alright," Dean shrugged, "so what's this trail you found?"

"It starts in Arizona, then New Jersey, California. Houses burned down to the ground. It's going after families, just like it went after us," John explained.

Sam frowned, thinking of Max and his cruel fate. "Families with infants?"

"Yeah," John nodded. "The night of the kid's six-month birthday."

"I was six months old that night?" Sam asked with a tilt of his head.

John pursed his lips. "Exactly six months."

"So basically, this demon is going after these kids for some reason. The same way it came for me? So mom's death...Jessica," Sam shook his head. "It's all because of me?"

Dean narrowed his eyes at his brother. "We don't know that, Sam."

"Oh, really?" Sam scoffed. "'Cause I'd say we're pretty damn sure, Dean."

Frustrated but trying to keep his voice level for the sake of Percy, Dean told him, "For the last time, what happened to them was not your fault."

Sam did not share the sentiment of trying to let Percy sleep, his voice raised almost to a shout. "Right. It's not my fault, but it's my problem!"

"No, it's not your problem, it's our problem!"

John stood and held out his hands. "Okay. That's enough."

Both Winchesters complied, taking a deep breath as Sam returned to his original position against the counter. Dean opted to sit at the foot of the bed Percy was in, throwing a concerned glance at the kid to make sure he was still breathing after he'd slept through the yelling.

The kid, Dean remembered with a frown.

"What about the attacks without infants?" Dean asked his father.

"Jess?" He raised an eyebrow but didn't wait for Dean to answer. "It's probably some sick game with your brother."

Dean sighed. He'd feel bad spilling the kid's secret, but it wasn't like Percy was going to tell John himself. And if they were going to find this demon, they needed all the information they could get. "There's Percy, too, though."

John frowned at him. "What happened with the kid?"

"The demon killed his girlfriend in Indianapolis," Sam told their father. "Just like Jess."

"And his parents are both alive?" John asked, the gears almost visibly turning in his head.

"They were when he was six months old," Dean answered.