10: Episode 12, Faith

Considering he'd been struck by lightning several times no thanks to the Grace siblings, Percy never really thought much of electricity. Sure, it made his hair staticky and he couldn't touch anyone without creating sparks for hours after it happened, but it didn't particularly affect him much besides that.

He didn't grasp how dangerous it was outside of the demigod world until he found Dean's lifeless body in a puddle downstairs. Percy rushed over, hardly even caring if the electricity was still flowing, and pulled him out of the water.

"Dean?" Percy asked quietly, gently as he pulled Dean's head into his lap. "Hey, Dean, come on. Great time to wake up, isn't it?"

Apparently, Dean didn't think so.

"Sam!" He instinctively covered Dean's ears as he shouted for the older man. "Sam, I need you!"

Sam didn't waste time before coming downstairs and rushing over to the other two. He took Dean's weight from Percy, holding his brother's face in his hands.

"Dean, hey. Hey," he pleaded, digging through his pockets until he handed a phone over to Percy. "Call an ambulance."

*****

"Sir, I'm so sorry to ask," the hospital receptionist gave Sam a sympathetic look. "There doesn't seem to be any insurance on file."

"Right," Sam tried to physically shake the clouds from his brain. "Uh, ok."

He found an insurance card in his wallet and handed it over with a shaky hand.

She nodded. "Okay, Mr. Burkovitz."

Percy nudged Sam's arm and gestured at the cops waiting on the other side of the room. The former hadn't said anything, really, to Sam since they found Dean. Sam figured he was in shock—seeing someone come so close to death for the first time was always startling. He set a gentle hand on Percy's shoulder.

"I'll talk to them, you go ahead and sit," Sam told him, pointing at the nearest empty chair.

Percy gave him a grateful nod and retreated to sit down as Sam recounted a slightly altered version of the truth to the cops. It wasn't an incredibly long conversation, though, before a doctor started approaching them, and Sam excused himself from their discussion. Interrupting his short-lived attempt to calm down, Percy joined Sam and the doctor.

"Hey, Doc. Is he...," Sam couldn't bring himself to finish the sentence.

The doctor responded with a simple, "He's resting."

"And?" Sam persisted. There was never an easy day for a Winchester.

With a frown, the doctor continued, "The electrocution triggered a heart attack. Pretty massive, I'm afraid. His heart...it's damaged."

Percy and Sam exchanged desperate glances. Sam asked, "How damaged?"

"We've done all we can," the doctor told them, and Sam tried to ignore how Percy's shoulders visibly dropped beside him. "We can try and keep him comfortable at this point, but I'd give him a couple weeks. At most, maybe a month."

"No, no. There's—there's...gotta be something you can do," Sam said breathlessly. He couldn't just lose Dean like this. "Some kind of treatment."

"We can't work miracles," the doctor stated. "I really am sorry."

*****

"Have you ever actually watched daytime TV? It's terrible," Dean gestured towards the screen as Sam and Percy walked through the door. Percy made his way to the chair near the window on the far side of the room, letting Sam sit closest to his brother at a chair set up at Dean's bedside.