5: Episode 7, Hook Man

Sam wrapped up his call from the nearest payphone before returning to Percy and Dean at their outdoor café table.

"Your, uh, half-caf, double vanilla latte is gettin' cold over here, Francis," Dean pointed at the drink.

Sam glared as he sat down. "Bite me."

Percy laughed softly from the rim of his black coffee as Dean said, "So, anything?"

Sam shook his head. "I had 'em check the FBI's Missing Persons Data Bank. No John Does fitting Dad's description or Janes fitting Percy's mom. I even ran his plates for traffic violations."

Dean gave Percy a wary glance before he spoke, "Sam, I'm tellin' ya, I don't think Dad wants to be found."

The reactions from the younger two were only slight but clearly disappointed. Honestly, this seemed like something John would do. Dean figured—hoped—there was a good reason, but he wasn't necessarily surprised. Really, the most alarming part of this was Percy's mother. The kid hadn't said much about her—hadn't said much about himself, now that Dean thought about it—but from what little he had said, Percy seemed confident that this was not his mother's choice. She wouldn't have left and went radio silent like John. Admittedly, that concept only made him more worried about his own father, but Dean definitely wasn't going to share that with his brother when the guy already spent his every waking moment being stressed. Until they found some kind of evidence that there was something wrong, Dean had to pretend everything was at least somewhat fine for the sake of the other two.

"Check this out," he spun his laptop around for Sam and Percy. "It's a news item out of Planes Courier. Ankeny, Iowa. It's only about a hundred miles from here."

Sam read the screen aloud, much to Percy's delight. "'The mutilated body was found near the victim's car, parked on 9 Mile Road.'"

"Keep reading," Dean said.

"'Authorities are unable to provide a realistic description of the killer. The sole eyewitness, whose name has been withheld, is quoted as saying the attacker was invisible.'"

Percy frowned. The only invisible fighter he knew was...well, let's just say he wasn't thrilled about the reminder of her or her mother who took the power away. He pushed the thought aside and opted for a shrug instead. "Could be something interesting."

"Or it could be nothing at all," Sam raised an eyebrow. "One freaked out witness who didn't see anything? Doesn't mean it's the Invisible Man."

"But what if it is? Dad would check it out," Dean played the dad card, of course, and soon enough, they were back on the road.

*****

"This exact thing happens in my nightmares, you know," Percy commented as they pulled up in front of a frat house.

"Bein' killed by something invisible?" Sam clarified.

Percy shook his head. "The frat house."

He heard Dean snort before climbing out of the car, the other two following suit.

"One more time," Sam said, "why are we here?"

"Victim lived here," Dean answered and grinned as they approached a couple of guys working on a car. "Nice wheels. We're your fraternity brothers. From Ohio. We're new in town. Transfers. Looking for a place to stay."

*****

Sam knocked on the bedroom door they'd been directed to and frowned at the sight of a shirtless guy painting himself purple and wearing ungodly yellow shorts.