Five

THE FIRST WEEK of a new semester is always tricky

THE FIRST WEEK of a new semester is always tricky. Your body is still on vacation mode while your brain has already snapped into its usual pattern of determination and anxiety.

It usually takes me a week to fully immerse myself back into being a student, but this time, I'm on top of my game the minute classes start. I have all my books and materials, my syllabus's are downloaded and broken down to create the best study schedule, and confidence is coursing through me like never before.

I've already completed most of the assignments for the week and as I make my way to my shift, I find myself relieved. Nursing courses are hell, of course; college in general is hell, but my relieve comes from the ability actually get a fair shot this time around.

I still feel a big sense of guilt. My part time position at Baker's Dozen, a small café that serves as an alternative for students who don't want to spend seven dollars for a cup of Starbucks, barely covers my expenses, much less allows me to send any money home. Maybe if I keep pushing home aside everything will just work itself out?

My walk is long and the freezing wind seems to have made the commute feel lengthier. When I finally walk into the café, the warm heat is a welcome, though it takes some time for my teeth the stop clattering and my shivering to subside.

"Not looking so hot for a Summer," Josh, my manager says, laughing to himself in a knee slapping, head extending backwards way. He tries to crack at least one joke about my name each shift since I've started. When I introduced myself on my first day, he proceeded look at me with confusion. "Summer?" he said, "well you're a few months early, we haven't even gotten to spring yet."

I don't find him funny, but he's harmless and besides the crappy jokes, a very decent boss as well.

"Hi, Josh." I greet him with a smile.

His grin is warm and his eyes shine with his usual chirpy attitude. "Just on time, as usual. Can I count on you to man the register and clear some tables while I go count the treasure, mate?"

"Aye-aye, captain." I salute him away.

He's also very fond of pirates.

I remove my coat and bag, tying my apron on and clocking in to complete my minimal my pre-work routine. I then take a deep breath, leaning against the counter to absorb the empty room.

I guess everyone preferred Starbucks today?

The tables aren't too bad, there's just a few empty coffee cups and dirty plates scattered here and there. I get rid of them quickly and begin wiping down the tables, when the bell above the door dings as it opens.

I hear them before I see them. The sound of a rowdy group of people laughing and joking around. I'm confused when they start piling in, especially since they aren't the typical quiet hipsters who frequent this place. Some of the guys are recognizable and it all starts to make sense when Cory walks in among them.