Thirteen

"LET'S DO A little cardio," Carter says, and I see the line of his smile in the darkness of the gym

"Okay." I intertwine my hands in front of me, feeling a sense of shyness creep up.

When he flicks the light on and I get a good look at him, the shyness dissolves and shock replaces it. "What happened to your face!"

He extends his hands out to calm me. "It's not a big deal, I promise."

"Not a big deal? Your left eye and right cheek are purple and throbbing."

"You should see the other guy." He dares to joke, then scratches his head. "Look, I may have gotten into a fight with a teammate after our game at St. Joseph's. Please don't make me feel worse than I already do.

"I won't." My face drops as his words wound me. I don't want him to think of my presence as worse than pain of a black eye.

He panics from my expression."I didn't mean to say it in that way. You could never make me feel worse, you actually make me feel better, that's why invited you here. I just meant that even though I think your concern is wildly cute it'll only make me feel more like shit tonight, that's all."

His over explains himself, and it leaves me grinning ear to ear. Cute, he thinks I'm wildly cute. At least my concern, that is.

"Alright, let's do some cardio then." I agree.

We spend a few minutes on the treadmill and the difference in his speed and incline compare to mines is very noticable.

"I'm tired of cardio, Carter." I whine.

"Let's take a break." he immediately pauses his machine and gets off.

I didn't expect that to be his reaction. I thought he'd encourage me to keep going. That is the reason he invited me, to keep him company and workout.

Instead, he holds his hand out, assisting me down from the minimal height of the machine. His palm feels warm, not sweaty. A nice warm that makes me want to keep holding, but as soon as I jump down, I let go. Besides the warmth of his hands, I notice bruising and some cuts, but choose to ignore it for the time being since that seems to be what he wants.

It's weird, all these little moments between us. I guess I never realized how much I've actually been yearning for things like hand holding and cuddling someone. Or maybe all this yearning is a new development? I shouldn't dwell on it, it may be something I want but it's not something I need.

"Have you been to a game before?" He asks.

"No, not quite." I drag the words out.

"Let me guess, because you never have the time?"

"Exactly," I smile. "You really get me."

A smirk curls on his lips. "Well, tonight I'll be your tour guide. Let me get you acquainted with our stadium."