Thirty-One

TODAY IS SUPPOSED to be an exciting day

TODAY IS SUPPOSED to be an exciting day. It's Friday, the big game is tonight, and I'm working a shorter shift to make it to the stadium on time.

My only concern should be cheering on my boyfriend and crossing my fingers for his team to win, but with my mom calling me on my break, it's looking like there may be many more concerns on my plate in the next few minutes.

I want to ignore her call, I just can't bring myself to do it. I haven't talked to my parents since I sent the five-hundred to help with the bills. They know what it took for me to come up with that money and their shame has allowed them to grant my wish and keep their distance. Until now.

What could she want? The thought is so pressing that I slip out of the back of the cafe and force myself to pick it up.

"Mom, is everything okay?" I slump against the large garbage container until I catch a whiff of its smell and swiftly transfer back to the wall by the door.

"Summer sweetie, how are you? Everything is fine at home." Her voice sounds positive and cheerful for once.

Maybe this will be a good call?

"I'm good. School is fine, I haven't managed to completely flunk out just yet." I joke.

"Oh, Summer dear, don't play around like that. You will succeed this time around, that's what we have to keep praying for," she says.

"I know, I was just in the mood for a little dark humor, I guess."

" Well I hope you're in the mood for some good news too because I have some for you," she says more cheerfully.

I twitch with hesitancy, not knowing what my parents' idea of good news means exactly. If you were to ask Theo and I, good news from them would mean winning the lottery or investing in some couples counseling. Though Theo would much rather have them pull the plug completely on their relationship in all honesty.

"Yeah?" I say without a fraction of the enthusiasm she holds.

"Melissa, who are you talking to?" my dad's voice thunders in the background.

I internally groan when I hear him, already preparing myself for their inevitable bickering. So much for a good call.

"Must you know everything I'm doing every hour of every day? I'm talking to our daughter, if that's okay with you," my mom says.

"Tell her we're doing fine." He yells.

"I already did!" She yells back.

"Tell her Theo's here too. She'll like that, it'll ease her nerves. You know how nervous she gets sometimes."

"Will you get off my back and let me tell her what I need to tell her?"

I get nervous because this is what I constantly have to deal with. They bring the negative energy that festers into my nerves, it's funny how they always slide past that fact.