Thirty-Six

I SIGH WATCHING Carter advance out of the room and shut the door behind him

I SIGH WATCHING Carter advance out of the room and shut the door behind him. So much for being a supportive girlfriend.

My hands are secure around Sam's waist and her body is slumped against mine, almost lifeless.

"Let's go to the party. Carter's birthday party." She slurs, spit flying out of her mouth with each word.

She's still able to move somewhat, so dragging her to her bathroom isn't much of a challenge.

"We already went to the party, Sam," this is the second time I've had to remind her. "Let's get you out of these clothes before you get sick."

I lay her down on the floor and cover a towel over her body while carefully maneuvering her articles of clothing off. She can't exactly consent to me seeing her unclothed at this moment, so I want to take precaution to allow her to have a sense of privacy. I leave her alone on the floor in search of dry clothes in her closet. I grab the Star Wars t-shirt I saw her wearing the other day and a pair of dark tights.

She's knocked out when I come back, head tilting up and lips parted with loud snores. It makes it easier to put on her new clothes, but leaves me uneasy about her state of health.

I'm unable to carry her to her bed, so I call Carter and only have to wait shortly before he comes rushing in.

"Can you help me get her to her bed now?"

Carter's already started lifting her before I can even get my full request out. He carries her bridal style and I follow them through the door back to her room where he lays her down gently and pulls her blanket over her.

I perch on the edge of her mattress, wiping her hair out of her face and massaging her temple. Carter takes a step back from the bed and crosses his arms over his chest looking deep in thought.

I have a lot on my mind too and there's definitely a conversation that needs to be had right now.

"She's okay for now, let's go back to the living room," I say. I have to repeat myself three times before Carter snaps out of his trance and hears me.

He runs his hand through his hair, reluctance pulling at his clenched jaw. "Okay."

I grab his hand for support and lead us out of the room into the more spacious confines of the living room.

"Well, do you still have that list?" I ask, a surge of energy and genuine sadness making me want to be proactive.

"What list?" He leans over the kitchen counter, toying with the glass of water in his hand.

"For treatment facilities. I'm sure you've already done all the research but how about we split the centers up, do some extra research, call around for availability, and see how quick we can get her in?"

Carter shakes his head, shifting his face into confusion. "We're not doing that."

"How are we gonna go about this, then? I smelled alcohol on her breath the night Jake was taken from her, so I suspect she's probably not been sober since the custody case started. She did say it helps take the pain away."