Nineteen

IF I HAD to describe how I'm feeling as Aleena and I make our way to the basketball stadium, I'd say I'm fine

IF I HAD to describe how I'm feeling as Aleena and I make our way to the basketball stadium, I'd say I'm fine. The last few hours have been exciting then somewhat disappointing, but now I can confidently say I'm just fine.

I'm still wearing the short and flowy red dress I picked out for the date, and Aleena refused to allow me to wipe off my makeup or tie my hair back in its usual ponytail.

An hour into waiting at the Bercelli's I had understood that our date ended before it could even begin. I'm not mad at Carter, I understand he had an important training session. I was ready to call it a night and go to bed and we could've figured out what are next plans are tomorrow, but it seems like a few people have conspired to make this night stretch longer.

I stare at one of them now, watching Aleena pull my hand with more excitement than I even have.

"Are you gonna tell me why we're going to the stadium at this hour of the night?"

"Oh Summer, patience is virtue." She remains wistful, "and don't act like you haven't snuck over here at this hour of the night for booty calls before."

I choke a laughter, "I haven't." 

Technically only because we were interrupted by a grumpy janitor, but she doesn't need to know that.

"Mmhm." She hums like she's unconvinced.

When we get to the stadium, we find two guys by the entrance already holding the doors open for us. With a closer look I recognize tall freckles, the guy who nearly knocked Carter out at the banquet and apparently got even closer to knocking him out at one of their basketball games. I remember seeing the light skinned guy who stands besides him at the banquet as well, though it takes me longer to realize that because he didn't make such an impression.

When freckles smiles at me, I smile back just to be polite, even though I'm not a big fan of his.

"Come on in, Ms. Sanders. Your destination is on your left," freckles says and steps aside to let us in.

Darren stands in front of the closed gymnasium double doors with his hands behind his back like he's apart of the secret service and the president is behind those doors.

He sees us approaching and drops his head to laugh. When I turn to Aleena, I realize he's laughing because she's pointing out her tongue and doing her cross-eyed bit she likes to do when she's feeling silly.

She rushes forward and raises her index finger to poke the tip of his nose. "You're in big trouble, mister.

"Me?" He humorously feigns innocence. "What could I have possibly done to get myself in trouble?"

"You missed rehearsals today, you were late to the last one, and quite frankly, I don't like your stinkin face."

"You don't?" He lowers his head and inches closer to Aleena's face.