Chapter 31

Now that they had committed themselves to each other, sharing the night stirred an atmosphere that they couldn't ignore. Tom paused in his doorway. Ezra sat crossed legged on his bed. Midnight was approaching, yet he was still high with excitement.

He shut his door and switched off the main light. The bedside lamp softened Ezra's sharp features. His gaze followed Tom around the room as he picked up a few clothes and put away shoes.

He eventually got into bed but didn't get under his duvet. Tom laid next to Ezra and opened his arms. The demon hesitated, looking down at him as if getting closer was a bad idea. "Come here," Tom whispered.

Ezra moved slowly, positioning himself next to Tom, so their bodies pressed together. He rested his head on Tom's shoulder and pressed his hands against himself.

Tom played with his black hair and lightly brushed fingers over his shoulder and down his arm until Ezra relaxed and allowed his hands to sprawl across Tom's stomach.

Tom held him until his eyes drooped, but Ezra moved suddenly, and his heart spiked. Ezra looked up and their faces were close. Tom brushed their noses, looking at him in the dull light, until their lips found each other.

They kissed slowly at first, settling into their feelings. Ezra soon sat up on his elbows, not losing their rhythm as he leaned over Tom.

They kissed until they lost themselves. Tom was barely aware of his legs on either side of Ezra when he moved against him. His hands had sunk to the end of Ezra's t-shirt, wanting to touch his hot skin.

Their lips parted and Ezra kissed him on his neck, deeply enough for Tom to moan. Ezra tensed against him, also coming back to his senses. He suddenly pulled away and looked down with big, dilated pupils full of passion.

"You don't have to stop," Tom whispered, wanting to continue, but wanting Ezra to feel comfortable.

Ezra made up his mind and softly kissed him on the cheek. He settled back to how they laid before. Now they were hot and breathless, and lying still until feelings faded, and sleep returned.

They woke to a knock on Tom's door and his mother's voice yelling that Tom had to start work in an hour. They were tangled around each other in the morning sun. Ezra stared intensely at the closed door until Moira walked away, and then he sat up, rubbing his eyes and yawning into the palm of his hand.

Tom laid still in his warmth, watching him, hoping that mornings would be like this for the rest of his life. He enjoyed the innocence of waking up in the morning, and the vulnerability from even the toughest person.

Ezrakhell, a big soul stripper demon who could crush a skull with his bare hands, blinked sleepily down at Tom with messy hair, puffy eyes, and a sheepish expression as if sharing the same bed was embarrassing.

In the kitchen, his parents manoeuvred around each other, making breakfast, and singing along to the radio. "Good news," his mother said, grinning and grabbing Tom's shoulders. "The council have said we can try with the bouncers!"

Tom was so thrilled that he forgot to ask if Gerry was still home and rushed to tell Ezra. He pulled him into the kitchen, asking when he had to start his new job.

"You start today, if that's okay?" Declan asked, smiling up at the demon.

"That's fine," Ezra said quietly, pursing his lips and looking around.

"I'll head to the shops soon and get you some sort of a uniform. But anyway, are you hungry?"

Ezra turned towards the stove as he pointed to the eggs in the frying pan, just as Gerry entered with a wonky tie, a creased shirt, and a washed-out black blazer. He froze, staring up at Ezra, and then at his barbed wire neck tattoo, and then down to his bare feet. "What the fuck is a demon doing in this house?"