Chapter 34

Sorry about the slow update, I had a teeny tiny bit of writer's block! :') 

- Sian

Ezra's next shift was a quieter one. Tom spent most of his time standing behind the bar, staring at him as discretely as he could. Now that he knew Ezra's tragic past, Tom's heart bled for him, despite it happening over a hundred years ago.

"You are one loved up man," Cal said, eating scampi fries and throwing a few to a dog sitting at a nearby table. "You can barely take your eyes off him."

So much for being discrete.

Ezra glanced over, not meaning to listen, but listening all the same. They smiled at each other, and Tom forced his gaze to his best friend. "Where's Harper tonight?"

Cal shrugged.

"Everything okay between you both?"

"Yes . . . I think." Cal smiled and drummed against the bar.

"You think?"

"Her opinions of demons are changing. We've been arguing on and off for a week."

"What's she saying?"

"That they should be banned from the pub."

Tom raised his brows. He liked Harper because she was nice to everyone and made his best friend happy. "I thought she had the same opinion as us."

"She did, and that's why she's my girlfriend. I wouldn't have even dated her if she had an issue with demons. I guess she's just worried for me because of the fighting in here. She's probably just concerned about our safety after that big fight here last week."

"I hope that's all it is," Tom mumbled, wondering what reaction he would get when he and Ezra decided to put a label on their relationship.

Cal patted the back of Tom's hand. "I support you and Ez. I would never keep anyone in my life who didn't."

Ezra's expression was soft, clearly trying not to listen.

"Thanks Cal. That means a lot to both of us."

Cal beamed and changed the subject by complaining about the lack of dogs in the pub.

Towards the end of his shift, when the pub was mainly empty, Tom took a break outside with Ezra. The beer garden was dark, but the front door was open, casting them in a soft yellow glow. Tom sat close to stay warm. "I know the job can get boring just standing there."

"I'm getting paid to just stand there. I don't mind." Ezra looked down, staring at the way Tom leaned into him. "I'm sure it'll be less boring on weekends."

"Trust me, it will." Tom leaned into him a little more, and Ezra put his arm around his shoulders, the way he had hoped he would. He went even further by planting a soft kiss onto Tom's temple, so Tom tilted his head up and Ezra kissed his lips too.

Ezra relaxed into him, and the kiss left a small smile on Tom's lips. "Come on then, let's finish this shift."

They headed inside, and Tom didn't notice the stares until he was back behind the bar. He first caught one of Finn's friends whispering in his ear and pointing to Tom. Then his friend whispered to the person next to him, and they whispered to the person next to them.

The whispering carried on until everyone in the pub was glancing over at Tom with a mixture of disgust and surprise, leaning together to talk quietly.

Tom looked at Ezra who nodded once, as if to say yes, they saw us kiss. Tom knew it would happen in the coming weeks, but now that the atmosphere had shifted to something very uncomfortable, he realised that he wasn't quite ready for it.