Chapter 39

Ezra sat on the side of the bed, staring down at Tom's bruised face. They had just eaten a late dinner together after a day of doing nothing but lying in bed watching films. Relaxing for an entire day was new to Ezra. He got a little restless after the third film, though he enjoyed being close to Tom, especially while he needed the company.

The nightmares affected him more than usual. Ezra assumed it was due to him waking up with reality not as perfect as he would have liked it. Gerry attacking him had brought tension into his home. He was unsettled, awake and asleep.

The sun set an hour ago, and Ezra was ready to seek out Othrowan.

Tom had gotten over his nightmares and slept peacefully now. With a belly full of food, the pain medication wiped him out. Ezra felt comfortable enough to leave him for a while, hoping he didn't wake up when he was gone.

He stroked the side of his face, thinking of how beautiful Tom was, especially when he slept. His brown hair always fell in the right places, his blue eyes were always so welcoming and happy. His cheeks were always flushed a little pink. Now sleeping, he still looked happy, and still radiated his serene energy that Ezra enjoyed being around so much.

He stood by the window and closed his eyes, picturing the fountain in Wileshire village. He saw the golden statue of the poor girl who was crushed, the girl whose parents were murdered. But at the last moment, Othrowan's face came to mind and Ezra landed in the library, in the middle of the choir practice.

The angels who stood in a circle all gasped and stepped back as if he rippled the air. Ezra clenched his hands to fists to force any awkwardness from showing on his face. "Ezrakhell!" one angel said, shocked. "Is there a problem you need help with? Do you need assistance with souls?"

Ezra recognised her voice. He had once known her very well when he was an angel. They were the same age and had been good friends before his world was torn apart. He remembered one summers day when they had been allowed to take some time away from their duties. They had gone to the hills to the highest point in a tree, just to watch the sky, and to feel the sun on their faces. He remembered smelling the warmth in the air, and hoping they could have more days like that in the future.

"No," he said deeply, staring hard until she looked away, then turning to the oldest angel in the room. "I need to speak with Othrowan."

Othrowan watched him in return with a smile as if he had been expecting a visit.

"Of course, Ezrakhell. This way." He led him through the door and into the main part of the library where Ezra had spent many hours with Tom. He stared at the table where they had confessed their feelings. Ezra had been so anxious to trust him. But he couldn't deny how much he liked him too.

He had been so relieved and scared when Tom was honest. But most of all, stunned that someone had finally seen him.

"How is Thomas O'Connell?" Othrowan asked.

"Fine." Ezra crossed his arms, hating the way Othrowan curiously studied his demon mark. "Why were you there?"

"I was passing."

"Why?"

"I wanted to see how you were doing, now that you work at the Glass Horns Pub."

"Bullshit."

Othrowan raised a brow. "Why would I have a reason to lie?"

"Why would you care what I'm doing?"

"Because you're including yourself in a human community. You're living among them, you're working for one, and you're giving your heart to one."