Chapter 59

The evening trailed on until Tom lost hope that the angel would visit. They got ready for bed, and comfortable against one another under the duvet, until Ezra said, "She's here."

Tom leapt out of bed and stuck his head through his curtains. The angel anxiously stood on the grass below, glancing left and right. She didn't want to be out in the open, so Tom hurried down the stairs and let her into the small coat and shoe alcove by the front door.

Ezra soon joined them, but he was slow due to his injuries, and sat on the shoe wrack, doing his best not to wince.

The angel stared down at him, and her confidence crumbled. "I'm sorry," she said. "There has been a misunderstanding. I have nothing to tell you."

Ezra grabbed her wrist before she could leave. "If you go now, we will make a scene," he said through gritted teeth,

She hated the anger in his eyes. "Ezrakhell," she whispered. "Please."

"I don't care if you'll get intro trouble for telling us what you know. This goes beyond you. It goes beyond all of us."

She pursed her lips, looking at Tom to see his reaction. He only nodded and crossed his arms in agreement.

She relaxed and Ezra let go when he was sure that she wouldn't vanish. She joined him on the shoe wrack, watching him with large dark eyes. When she didn't say anything, Ezra started to scowl. "Get on with it!" he snapped.

She folded her hands on her lap, looking down to find the strength. "I know you think the angel's are involved. That is true . . . to some degree."

Tom and Ezra shared a glance but didn't interrupt.

"But it is not in the way that you think. You see, the angel's choirs are growing In every village, town, and city because we are protecting humans. The rise in violence hasn't gone unnoticed, and it is not our fault. We have been trying to prevent it."

"How?" Ezra asked, more confused than angry.

"With our choir."

"No, that choir is giving me bad dreams," Tom added.

"It's not, it's trying to prevent them."

"I don't understand. Prevent what exactly?"

"Don't you see? The rise in violence is because the demons are getting angrier. We are protecting you from their uproar."

"I still don't understand."

The angel stood in front of Tom, clutching his arms. "The demons want this violence. They are using their influence to cause bad dreams, to plant the seed of doubt. And now, when the violence looks as though it's targeting them, they are putting the blame on the angels."

Tom wasn't convinced. "You know, this sounds like you've been caught and you're trying to lie to get out of it."

"The demons want you to believe this."

Tom stared down at Ezra, wanting a reaction, but all he got was a perplexed frown. "You have to be lying."

"Why? Because you thought you figured it out?" The angel shook her head with frustration. "Thomas, the demons are playing you right into their hands."

Tom stepped away from her. "I don't believe you."

Ezra stood up, towering over them both. "I don't believe you either."

The angel backed away towards the door. "I wouldn't risk everything by being here to feed you a lie. I know you have been making friends with the demons. I know they have a source who they think they can trust. But they can't, and we know everything. We have been keeping a watchful eye on you both."