Chapter 58

A new day came with ease. Tom was up, showered, and dressed before Ezra could even blink himself awake. "I slept well," he said to the demon lounging under the duvet. I feel good today, so I'm going into the village to get us breakfast.

Ezra checked his watch. "It's almost midday," he mumbled with the weight of sleep all over his tired body.

"A late breakfast then," Tom smiled, leaning in to kiss Ezra's forehead, feeling his warmth beneath his lips.

"You're going to talk to the angel, aren't you?"

"Maybe . . . if I see her."

"You're going to look for her, aren't you?"

Tom didn't say anything, he only made a face that revealed all.

Ezra sighed softly, knowing he was still too injured to go with him. "At least take Cal with you."

"I will, to give you peace of mind." Tom stretched his arms above his head, noting how Ezra stared at the way his t-shirt lifted above his waistband. "I'll be quick."

"Be as long as you need to. And be careful," Ezra warned.

"I'll tell Cal that."

"I'm telling you that!" Ezra yelled as Tom left the room and headed for the stairs. His sister lingered by the kitchen door, watching him go.

"How is he?" she asked.

Tom turned, knowing that Cal was already waiting outside for him. "Go and ask him," he said gently. "I'm sure he'd appreciate you making an effort." He left to the sound of his sister's footsteps shuffling towards his bedroom.

Cal was leaning against the wall of the pub with his hair washed and up in a bun. He wore a white t-shirt and dark green shorts with black flipflops, eager for the sunshine to warm the day. He looked better than he had in a while, and Tom pulled him into a friendly embrace.

"Good morning," he said with a light beat to his tone.

"Someone's happy. Does this mean Ezra is back then?" Cal asked, strongly patting his back and swaying them a little.

"Yeah."

"What did he go and do?" Cal asked as they left the pub grounds and ventured down the country road. Sheep called in the distance, and the fresh air tussled their hair.

Tom explained everything, especially the state Ezra arrived home in. He made sure to tell Cal about the angel who visited them last night, and what she had almost said.

"Odd," Cal murmured. "I wonder what she had wanted to say."

"That's what we're going to find out, hopefully."

"Surely, she won't tell you in the library. That's basically the angel's headquarters for this village."

"What else can I do?"

They looked at each other, as they lingered on the library steps. Cal shrugged, so Tom grabbed his shoulder, and they entered without a plan.

"She might not even be here," Tom mumbled, looking around.

Haisley was stacking books on the daily recommended shelf. She glanced at them above her glasses and guiltily turned away. Tom knew she felt bad from banning him from the library, and he hoped she would feel bad for a while. Her judgement of demons had hurt him more.

"There," he whispered, spotting the angel by the window, talking to an old woman about crochet patterns.

They sat on a table and stared at her. Tom soon realised that they would draw attention to themselves and grabbed two books off a nearby shelf.