Chapter 35

"I've lived with most of these people all my life. They grew up with my parents. Some were even good friends with my grandparents. How can they treat me like this?" Tom asked, speaking his mind aloud.

"Twats, the lot of them," Cal grumbled between munching on his sandwich. Tom hadn't yet opened his, feeling too sad to be hungry.

"You shouldn't have quit your job."

"I should have."

"But what will you do now? How will you give your parents rent?"

"I'll figure something out. You don't have any jobs going at the pub, do you?"

"No. but-" Tom raised his eyebrows, turning towards his best friend. "Actually, there is one position we're trying to fill."

"What is it?"

"We need another bouncer. Ez might be called upon by an angel at any time. But finding someone else to work with a demon was going to be hard."

"I'll happily work with him!" Cal leapt off the bench. "Do I get free drinks?"

"Free energy drinks."

Cal shrugged. "Good enough. I'll start tonight." He sat back down, but his excitement didn't last for long. "The village can't do this to you and get away with it."

"What am I supposed to do? I can't force them to treat me fairly."

"No, but you can consult the angels. Their voice means a lot to many. You've done nothing wrong and I reckon they can help."

Tom didn't feel like anyone could help him, until Ezra appeared, blocking his view from the hilltop. At first, his expression was his usual big, curious eyes, until he saw the look of distain in Tom's.

Cal immediately got up, so Ezra could sit down. "What's wrong?" Ezra asked, resting a hand on Tom's shoulder.

Tom explained how he was banned from where Cal worked, so Cal quite, and now Cal would be the other bouncer to work at Glass Horns Pub.

Ezra's features had darkened during his explanation. "They banned you from the shop because of your relationship with me?"

Tom nodded. Before he could convince him that everything was fine, Ezra got up and marched down the hill.

Tom and Cal exchanged panicked glances. "Where are you going?"

"To speak my mind to people who clearly like to speak theirs," Ezra said, not slowing down, even when he passed a group of hikers who huddled together and stared at the demon mark on his neck.

Tom and Cal followed him into the village with thumping hearts. Ezra didn't stop when he reached the sandwich shop. He barged in through the door. The bell above rang aggressively as those in the queue turned to gawk.

Cal's ex-boss was working behind the counter. His eyes almost bulged from his round head when Ezra pressed palms to the counter, leaning over with a glare. "Can you please explain to me why you have banned Thomas O'Connell?," he asked calmly.

The owner fumbled over his words, until he couldn't come up with an excuse and yelled, "Get out! You're not welcome here!"

Ezra didn't move. "You didn't answer my question."

"I said get out!"

Ezra leaned closer. "You can treat me like shit, but don't you fucking dare treat Tom like that. He's nothing but nice to everyone. I bet none of you have anything bad to say about him, do you?" Ezra looked around and everyone dropped their gazes. "That's what I thought. You're all pathetic." He turned and stormed out of the shop, grabbing Tom's hand along the way.