The results

At the headquarters of Loid's work, a woman speaks up to her boss. "Today's the day." The boss hums, a bit unsure. "For what?" Without looking at the woman, he holds a hand out, grabbing the clipboard as the woman asks. "You have to ask? It's the day Eden college announces the result of the admissions. The results should be posted a 1200 today."

With the Forgers, the family is walking down the sidewalk, all nervous in their own way. Loid tips his hat to cover his eyes from the sun.

This is more nerve-racking than I thought it'd be.

Yor gasps and Loid looks over to see why she did so. The woman holds up her wrist to show the chain around it hanging loosely. "My bracelet just broke. Why did it have to happen today?"

Loid nervously smiles as he tries to reassure his wife. "Oh, I'm sure it's just a coincidence." Yor goes to smile but notices something. "L-Loid, look." She points to a black cat passing by.

Y/n smiles. "It's all right, Mom. Black cats are commonly mistaken as unlucky. They can be quite lovely once they know you." Yor smiles at this, but her eyebrows twitch in worry. "I-is that so?"

"Papa..." Anya quietly calls out and we look down at her. "What's the matter?" Dad asks. Anya stays still, but her face shows distress. "I just stepped in poop." The family tries to laugh it off, but they are all still panicking."

"Admissions results for Eden College" The boss of the organization repeats. It clicks in his head finally. "Ah, the thing we've got Agent Twilight doing." The woman next to him talks again. "Chief, peace between the East and West hangs on Operation Strix. Please take this more seriously."

The boss sighs. "You don't know Twilight very well, do you?" The woman is embarrassed a bit by this. "C-correct, sir." The man pulls up a file of him. "He might just be the best spy in all of Westalis, so don't worry so much." The boss returns the clipboard. "He'll be telling us that 'the Sakura blossoms bloom' soon enough."

The woman takes the clipboard and examines the papers. "What does that mean, sir?" The boss explains it. "It's a code phrase from the Far East. It means they passed."

The Forgers look at the admission board, dread casting a shadow on their faces. Loid drops his hat. His eyes scan again, but he did not see his youngest's number on the board.

And there was nothing that was said about transfers.

It's not there.

The family stumbles away from the board. Mom looked to the ground.

We failed.

Dad has the same look on his face.

We failed...

Y/n could feel the skin of her palm tear.

We failed.

Anya stops walking and bows her head in defeat. "We failed." The rest of the family snaps out of it and looks at the pinkette. Loid puts his hat back on and bends down to Anya. "L-let's head home." Yor takes the little girl's hand. "I-I'll make us some tea." Y/n nods with a smile.

Anya is not cheered up by this. "I'm sorry... it's all because I stepped in poop." She looks up to show her teary eyes.

Before the adults and teenager comfort the child, a familiar voice pipes up. "A moment, Forgers." The family turns to see Master Henderson standing in the shade of a tree.

Y/n's POV

The man leads us to a building and then hands Dad a list. "What is this?" Dad asks. "Look at the very top." The housemaster tells him.

Dad takes another look and sees Anya's name at the top of the list. The housemaster then explains further. "That is the waiting list of successful applicants, though rather confidential."

Dad looks up. "A waiting list?" Mr. Henderson bows his head. "Correct. Once her overall scores were tallied, Anya Forger placed first on that waiting list." The man gives Dad a side-eye. "If any of the current successful applicants were to withdraw, she'll immediately get into the school."

We all recall what happened, and Dad brings it up. "B-but after what we did..." Mr. Henderson interjects. "Do you know what the number one killer on this planet is?"

We stay quiet and allow him to continue. "It's the mosquito! Yes. You saved Master Swan from that brutal killer attack back there. That brought your score up tremendously."

That's insane." Dad notes, his face staying neutral. "Stand proud, Forger. Your family is worthy of our school."

Mom then tries to clarify. "So, if one person withdraws, Miss Anya will get in?" The housemaster nods. "Correct."

But if no one withdraws... Now what about...

3rd POV

Yor imagines her breaking into one of the children's father's office, backing up to the desk, stuttering out of fear and shock. "Th-the Thorn Princess? What are you doing here?"

Yor ignores the question as she stalks in. "Secretary Zachry Feiss, I presume? If it's not too much trouble, I will be taking your life." She sends a killer glare at the cowering man. The man begs. "Please, no! Spare me! I have a son who just turned six! He'll be starting Eden College next month! If I die, he won't be able to go to school!"

Yor sighs. "I'm terribly sorry, but that's exactly why I'm doing this." The man is taken aback by this. "For the sake of Miss Anya getting into the school... I need you to die!" She then goes in for the kill.

Yor shakes her head furiously.

You mustn't, Yor! You mustn't take the life of an innocent person, Yor!

Y/n's POV

"Yor?" Dad calls out and Mom shakes her head again. "Oh, it's nothing."

I'm terribly sorry, Mr. Zachry Feiss.

Well, no matter." Mr. Henderson hums. "There are a few that withdraw every year." He turns his back to us. "Make sure you are properly prepared for the eventuality. As for Miss y/n, she is still being evaluated, but I have no doubt she will be accepted."

Dad smiles softly. "Thank you very much, Master Henderson."

The housemaster slightly turns his head to us. "I must warn you that I may not be teaching here by the time you arrive."

Dad and I both voice our shock. "What?!"

Mr. Henderson explains further. "I was forced to give that swine a good thrashing. "I was able to protect Eden's honor, but who knows what ramifications await me?"

That foolish man and this instructor... I'm not sure which one will be more useful to me in my mission, but if that fool stands in my way, I have plenty of ways to destroy him.

Dad speaks up. "Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help." The man looks over at Dad. "I appreciate the attempt at the consolation, my elegant boy." He looks out the window and into the distance. "Just await that call at home."