twenty nine

september 2020 (36 weeks pregnant)
harry

i thought it was gonna be today.

ivy's had contractions all night, but when we called the hospital, they said that since it's her first time, they have to come more regularly within shorter time.

they asked us to relax and have something to eat, so we ordered takeaway, but it would be obvious to anybody, that both of us are stressing.

"ivy come sit down with me." i just sat down by the dining table. our baby is coming soon and i want ivy in my arms through all of this. "come sit." i try again, patting my lap.

ivy's belly is huge, i mean she can't really be in my lap, but we're both choosing to ignore that as she sits down.

"it's almost been ten minutes since i've felt a contra-"
ivy's hands fall straight to her stomach. "i take that back." ivy's contractions aren't too painful, - otherwise she's stronger than i thought - so that's also why the hospital said we still have a while to wait.

her body relaxes.

"okay?"

"okay."

.

september 23rd
2:08 am

"harry. please wake up." i rub my eyes as ivy shakes my left bicep.

i get up right away. "baby, you okay? what's up baby."

"i think my contractions are getting worse, i mean one just fully woke me up." ivy looks tired. her eyes look heavy and i can almost see tears in them.

"okay, how are you feeling? do you wanna get up or lay down or what-"

ivy smiles at me. "baby, i just want your arms around me."

"then that's what you'll get." i lean forward to peck her lips.

not even a minute later, ivy's throwing my arms off of her again. "fuck." she lets out a painful groan. "baby, we need to start timing them."

"i think we need to get you to the hospital."

ivy grabs a hold of my bicep again. "harry, start timing when this one's over."

i grab my phone and go to the clock.

ivy lets out a loud cry, before gasping for air. "okay, okay now."

i start the timer.

we sit in silence. i brush my fingers through ivy's hair, as she gets back into a more calm state.

timer: 4:36

another contraction starts.

timer: 0:55

contraction ends.

ivy moves around in bed and i do my best to comfort her as we keep this going.

3:34 am

"okay baby, we're going to the hospital now." i get up. ivy is exhausted and her contractions are just over a minute long, every third to fourth minute.

"i can't move." ivy breathes out.

i press her body against mine. "just lean on me, baby. just till we're at the car and then you can relax."

reluctantly ivy gets up and i pull her downstairs with me. we packed a bag of essentials a few nights ago, since we knew this day was coming up soon.

i throw ivy's bag over my shoulder and we get out of the front door.