FIVE - HUNTING A WENDIGO

CHAPTER FIVE — HUNTING A WENDIGO
wendigo — part two

"You know, Saving people, hunting things, the family business

"You know, Saving people, hunting things, the family business." — dean winchester

SURE, GRACE HAD BEEN IN MANY WOODS IN THE LAST TWO YEARS, BUT THEY STILL REMINDED HER OF THAT DAY

SURE, GRACE HAD BEEN IN MANY WOODS IN THE LAST TWO YEARS, BUT THEY STILL REMINDED HER OF THAT DAY. She did her best to push the memories to the back of her mind as she followed the group as they hiked through the undergrowth. Roy and her Dad were leading the team as her Uncle held the rear, a defensive manoeuvre, as they continued through the woods. Twigs snapped under her sturdy boots the occasional branch brushed up against her jacket. Grace was in the middle with Haley and Ben, but she was nearer her Dad than her Uncle so she could hear what they were saying.

"Roy, you said you did a little hunting." Dean brought up, making conversation.

Roy gloated with a smug smile. "Yeah, more than a little." Well, so had Grace and she was only nine.

"Uh-huh." Her Dad looked over at the man, slightly amused by his arrogance. "What kind of furry critters do you hunt?"

"Mostly buck, sometimes bear."

Dean stepped ahead of Roy and continued on. Then he glanced at Grace, smirking mischievously, before asking the hunter with humour lining his tone. "Tell me, uh, Bambi or Yogi ever hunt you back?" Grace's psychic abilities were unpredictable and random, but right now they were telling her that was danger ahead. At the same time as Roy, she grabbed his jacket and pulled him back from whatever her mind was warning her of. Dean knew his daughter very well, he didn't know Roy, so he turned to the man and inquired. "Whatcha doing, Roy?"

The man grabbed a stick lying down on the ground near them before stabbing it into a ground. A snap echoed through the silence and they all looked down to see a bear trap hidden amongst the natural debris. It had torn the end of the stick quickly off with its strong metal teeth. Grace gulped fearfully at the sight of it. It was strong enough to tear someone's foot completely off, and that had almost happened to her Dad.

Roy looked rather smug about getting one up on Dean and said. "You should watch where you're stepping, Ranger." The stick fell back to the ground and Roy rather arrogantly retook the lead of the group. Totally ignoring the fact that he wasn't the only one to notice the trap, that there was someone else holding Dean back.