Chapter Five

"Thank God we have finished the rigging, I hate having to go through setting it up, all the time it is so boring!" Maria complained to her brother George, but she was also mindful that it was out of earshot of her father, who stood across the other side of the ring, knowing he would give her a lecture about the importance of safety and caring about putting up their rigging and apparatus for the trapeze.

George send her a dry disapproving look, "We could have finished it quicker if you didn't spend half your time flirting with Jelena's brother, Yuri," he pointed out

"Maria frowned a little, "What has got into you lately, you are no fun, you are becoming a right misery guts"

"There is nothing wrong with me," George replied brusquely , " just that there is a time for fooling around, but not during setting up the trapeze equipment, that's all,"

 When he turned his back to her to hail his father, she just made a face, and stuck her tongue out at him, before walking towards the rope ladder.

She didn't climb the ladder, instead she bent and flexed her body, exercising and loosening her limbs to prepare herself.

She paused in her actions as she noticed Patrick Brady walking towards her, and couldn't help noticing the way his blue eyes swept over her with a certain appreciation.

"Hey Maria, you get prettier every time I see you," he greeted her jovially "I bet the boys can't leave you alone this year, and you are having to fight them off"

Although she was aware that it was just light hearted banter, in which Patrick liked to use with all females, Maria still felt herself blush at his offhand compliment.

But then what girl wasn't flattered to get Patrick Brady's attention

His blond hair was mostly hidden behind the small square black scarf he had tied around his head, and he was dressed in a white vest top and loose  baggy khaki trousers, and Maria found herself admiring his golden tanned biceps that were showing, as he leant casually against the rigging pole opposite her

"Oh no more than usual," she finally replied with a playful smile, bending her body forward in a graceful movement in pretence of exercise, but also just for his benefit, so that he could see her womanly curves in a better light, whilst her dark eyes secretly studying his reaction.

Much to her delight he looked impressed. He straightened up and taking a step closer to her.

"Well you know if you need a body guard to chase them off, I am available," he then offered

"I will keep that in mind," Maria smiled back

"Maria!" she then heard George call her sharply, much to her annoyance. Glancing around, she found her older brother frowning at her.

"Guess you don't need a bodyguard when you have your big brother looking over your shoulder," Patrick chuckled, giving George a genial wave of his hand in acknowledgment.

George waved briefly back, but as he started walking towards his sister, Patrick moved off

Standing next to Maria, George watched Patrick go to the other side of the ring where his tightrope apparatus was still being set up.

"What did he want?" he then demanded turning his gaze on his sister.

"Nothing, we were just talking," Maria replied defensively, "What has you so uptight anyway?" she then asked, feeling slightly irritated that her brother had butted in, making a big deal out something trivial as usual.

"Maybe I don't like to see my sister throwing herself at every guy that passes by," George turned frowning at her

Maria just opened her mouth at first, too stunned to even reply to her brothers unfair accusation