Chapter Six

Sitting in the corner of her caravan, whilst  sewing sequins in a new costume for the acrobats, Melanie found herself wishing she had a camera, as she glanced across where her husband sat with their two sons, playing a game of poker at the small table.

It was a rare occasion when they actually got this chance, with them all sitting together, relaxed in each others company. She would have loved to capture the moment for posterity.

It had all came about when Carlos had mentioned to George he was learning to play poker with some of the lads from the tent men crew, so George offered to help him improve his playing skills.

Later their Father had entered, taking an idle interest in what they were doing, so he ended up joining in with the next game

Now they sat playing poker using the small change they had in their pockets. Melanie didn’t really approve of gambling but on this occasion she didn’t see any harm in it. And Carlos seem to be enjoying himself, his usual serious solemn expression, relaxed and smiling

Melanie wished they could spend more time together like it, but at the same time she understood the reason why it didn’t happen that often.

It wasn’t that Ricardo was deliberately neglectful of his youngest son.

In fact he would have been more than delighted to have Carlos with him training on the flying Trapeze, and learning him the same skills he had taught her older siblings, but unfortunately it was not to be, and he had grudgingly accepted this.

But training and performing took up most of his time, it was a necessity and not choice, which meant he had little time for anything else..

It was just the way things were, Melanie just hoped Carlos understood that.

Having won the game, Ricardo, announced they should call it a night as it was getting late and they had an early start in the morning. His two sons protested loudly but in good humour that it was unfair as they should be given a chance to try and win their money back from him

He just chuckled and told them perhaps the next time they would get the chance and ignoring their grumbling, he firmly stood his ground insisting it was bedtime.

They knew better than to argue further and reluctantly give in to their father’s authority, his word was still law.

Melanie hoped that there would be a next time, and as she got into bed next to Ricardo a little while later, she happily snuggled up to the familiar warmth of his firm body letting her head rest on his chest.

“ Y’know, It was really nice seeing all the Sanchez men together tonight, having fun. I think Carlos enjoyed it too, being able to spend time with his big brother and his father for a change.”

“Hmmm,” Ricardo agreed, letting his fingertips lightly circling her bare shoulder somewhat absentmindedly

“Although I am still concerned about Carlos, I noticed he seems to just want to hang out with the tentmen and the labour crew now, most of them are a lot older than him, they are the ones who got him interested in playing poker, I am not sure if they are a good influence on him”

“He will be ok,” Ricardo replied, “You gotta stop being so over protective with him, he is starting to become a man now, time to let your baby grow up, he will fifteen in a few months time,” he reminded her

“Yes I suppose so,” Melanie sighed, “Time goes in too fast, it doesn’t seem so long ago they were all babies,” she then said sounding a little melancholy

Ricardo chuckled softly, his arm tightening around her, squeezing her to him, “My little mother hen is feeling it, now her chicks are starting to leave the nest.