Chapter Sixteen

The rest of the day did not get any better for George He was too distracted by the events of the night before, with his upsetting exchange with Estelle, that during his usual days training for their performance, he couldn’t concentrate very well.

In the end his father told him that he didn’t think it would be wise for him to perform if his heart and head wasn’t fully focused, and he should let Alex take his place for the live shows that evening. Ricardo curtly advised him to just take a break to get his head together again.

George reluctantly agreed, knowing he could not put his family at risk, or their performance if he couldn’t handle it. But at the same time it only made him feel worse.

Although his father was unusually patient and even understanding with him under the circumstances, George still felt like he was letting him down.

Since he had started performing with his father, he had never had reason to pull out of a show before. He had always been totally professional and focused, now this once little incident had knocked him off completely and he was disappointed with himself.

Not wanting to face anyone, he sat brooding in the caravan. Maria came to check on him, and inform him that after the evening show she was planning on making a special meal for her parents, as it was officially their anniversary. It was going to be her personal present to them, so asked if he wanted to gave a hand, as Carlos had agreed to help out to.

But George felt he would only spoil the evening of he were there with his morose mood, so declined the offer.

He sensed his sister was not too happy with him; But then it seemed that today no one was particularly pleased with him..

Not long after Maria went, deciding George was better left on his own, he had another two visitors.

It was Dimitri and Luka, Jelena’s two older brothers. They wanted him to go along with them for a drink, to thank him for helping his their sister the night before, and warning Patrick Brady off.

It took much persuasion between the both of them, before they finally got him to agree. But in the end George decided he might as well go and drown his sorrows with them, rather than sitting around in the caravan feeling sorry for himself on his own.

They found one of the local nearby pubs in the nearby vicinity where the circus was situated, which was within easy walking distance

George never considered himself a big drinker, a few odd beers usually was quite sufficient for him. Trained by his father, he was too disciplined in his ways to overdo it with the alcohol.

But tonight there was no show so he didn’t have to perform. He told himself didn’t have to worry, and ended up drinking more than his usual limit. He found it did help take the edge of his dark mood, and forget the terrible day he was having,

So when Jelena turned up several hours later at the pub she was a little startled to find George with them also. Her mother had ordered her to go look for her brothers and get them home, but she was dismayed to see George was also more than a little drunk in their company

Her brothers more used to consuming alcohol, taking it after their father, could handle it better

Jelena found herself furious with them for plying George with drinks, knowing he couldn’t, so much so they actually had to help carry him out of the pub.

On the short walk back to the circus site, she very vocally6 give them a mouthful in her native Russian tongue, for their irresponsibility

They took it all in their stride and told her to lighten up, that they had just been trying to cheer George up, because he was feeling down.