18

"So you are telling me you can't remember anything? Like you can't even remember how you ended up with HYDRA?" Steve exclaims. Emma hesitates for a Moment. So far the questions have been manageable. Name, age and other basic stuff. But she couldn't answer the ones about her time at HYDRA since she couldn't remember. She thought about how to answer the question. That was the one thing she can remember. It was her last day of freedom. She shivers at the thought, but whispers her answer. "I can remember that. It's one of the only things I can". Steve studies her for a moment. Her eyes are pinned to the floor. Her posture was shocking and she was underweight. She skin was bone dry, but she had physical strength. It was clear she had lots of shoulder muscle but the lack of fat made her look small. He hesitates before asking, "Do you mind sharing?" Emma looks up from the floor with tears in her deep blue eyes. "I was 6 going on 7".she pauses. "I think I was anyway. I was in an orphanage. I hated that place. I used to play football in the front yard." She chuckles. "One day I was out with my ball when I could see someone by the wall. I was stupid. Went straight over. He knew who I was. He knew my name. Then all I remember is waking up in a room. It wasn't mine. I was there. In HYDRA. Then my life turned to shit."Her eyes stayed pinned to the floor the entire time. A tear slipped down her cheek. Steve sat in silence. "One last question." He says softly. "How did you get your powers?" Emma looks up from the ground. She has never been asked about stuff like this. Her eyes take in Steve's posture and facial expressions. "I was born with them. I had them before HYDRA. I don't know who my parents are, but I'm damn sure my powers are the reason I never met um." Her eyes slowly drift back to the ground as she says the last statement.