23

The sound of breathing was all that could be heard in the large gym on the Avengers campus. Emma stood, bent over and panted, facing a boxing bag. She studied the bag before taking a good swing at it. The bag came clean of its hook and was thrown into the wall at force. The girl exhaled loudly before sitting on the floor. Weeks had passed since she had her first proper interaction with her new team. She was still awkward and anxious around others, so she spent most of her time alone. After a few moments, the muscular girl got to her feet and turned on the speaker that lay by the far wall. Emma had developed a love for music, and it quickly became her comfort. The sounds of The Weeknd filled the large room as Emma strutted back over to the huge line of boxing bags. She hooked up another bag, and within seconds, it lay against the far wall like its counterpart.

Steve watched through the large window of the gym. He watched the pile of abused bags increase by the far wall. "Remind you of anyone?" Nick Fury stood behind him, smiling ever so slightly as he asked the question. "She's something anyway. She put on condition so quickly that you wouldn't think she was a malnourished child a few weeks ago." The pair stood in silence and observed. "The amount of bruises and cuts she still has is unbelievable. They are all going to permanently scar the skin, " Steve stated, concern in his voice. "Wounds like that take time. It's not the external wounds I'm worried about anyway, " Fury stated before walking on down the bright, long corridor. Steve turned back to see the girl standing with her hands on her hips, observing the bags on the floor. She crouched down slowly and hovered above the floor. She didn't move. Steve stared worryingly through the window before chasing after Fury. "What do you mean not worried about the external wounds?" He asked as he caught up to him. "Well, think about it. She's been there for years and has been abused for years. I'd be worried she'd flip out if she got too overwhelmed or something." "So what are you trying to say?" Steve exclaims, blocking Nick Fury from walking further. "I'm saying to just be careful. That's all"