19

Emma sat in complete silence. Steve had left and told her someone else was coming. Based on his body language, she assumed this next interrogation wasn't going to be sweet. Her mind was racing, trying to comprehend what was happening. She could still hear the voices of the people who put her through so much pain. She was trying to remember what she said and what she didn't say to Steve. He leg starts bopping around uncontrollably. She felt like she was going to loose control.

Then the doorknob turned. Startled, she sat up straight. She didn't dare look behind her. The man who sat in front of her looked oddly familiar. Something inside her clicked at the sight of him. She stared at him coolly. He scanned over her face. "Do you remember me?" He taunted. She didn't respond. Her leg starts to hop around uncontrollably. "Have we decided to go mute?", "I'll pluck your other eye out of your Tic skull if you don't watch that mouth," she snarled at him. He chuckled to himself. "So, you're still not mentally well to have a conversation with me. How come Steve was different?" He leaned closer to her as he spoke his last sentence. " 'cos he isn't a dick. All you want is control, Fury." She slowly stood up, gripping the edge of the table. "Control over the things that you can't control. That's what makes you feel powerful. Isn't it?" She laughed devilishly at his reaction. "Who's mute now? Who's controlling this conversation now?" Her eye twitched aggressively. Fury quickly got to his feet. "Hold yer horses," she says, a smirk creeping across her smug face. "Why are you running away from something you started? What did you want to tell me?" He paused. "You are stuck here now. Whether you like it or not. All we want to do is help. And you are not helping yourself, Emma." She took a step towards him. "Try all you want. You will soon come to the conclusion that you can't unbreak me. I'm too far gone for fixing. If I were you, I'd just kill me now." A tear slipped down her cheek. She had buried the evil inside her while he was speaking. "At this stage, I'd happily die and not have to do this anymore." She said shakily. "And believe me, I've tried."

Suddenly, an arm wrapped around her neck as a needle was stabbed into her bruised skin. She didn't react. She had just accepted her faith. Steve and the rest of the avengers watched from above. "She's 14." Steve sighed. "14 and she would gladly have someone kill her." "It's tough being an adult there, but being a child? It must have been torture. We can't forget she's unpredictable. See the way when Fury stepped into the room she was ready to kill him. It's going to take alot to get her, well, normal." Bucky sighed from the far end of the room. And, he was right. How can you fix something that's been broken for years? With pieces of it lost, destroyed, just so it can be maintained?