17)

Haaland didn't lose sleep over last night's events. On the contrary, he slept pretty well. He left the burden of thinking for the morning.

The sun poured into his room as the clock struck 6, it was a new day. The sunlight washed over his face, assaulting his deep sleep. Haaland rubbed his eyes and sat up in his bed. He took a moment to enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the early morning.

Somewhere deep in his subconscious, he knew he was avoiding the topic of matter. "Ah, shit."

Bellingham's confession.

He was supposed to give him a conclusive answer today at training. The problem was; he wasn't sure what exactly he thought. Bellingham sounded sincere, Haaland didn't want to hurt him.

He did like him, but not precisely in that way. He was fun, skilled, reliable, attractive...

He wanted to leave him with an answer that wouldn't destroy their friendship. Haaland continued thinking whilst drinking his coffee at the kitchen counter.

***

"Four, five, six.." Bellingham counted out loud.

Gio was doing kick-ups. His PB was 67. He insisted he would beat it today and kindly asked Bellingham to count. He didn't have time for numbers, only balls.

"Twelve, thirteen... wow, you're shit." Gio lost his rhythm and messed up again. "I'm shit? Give me a break, I woke up like two minutes ago. I'd like to see you give it a try, smartass."

Bellingham shook his head. "I'm fine, you're way more entertaining." A prideful smile spread across Reyna's face.

There was a short moment of silence. "If you don't mind me asking... are you still mad at Haaland?" Gio carefully approached the topic. Bellingham simply laughed.

"I was never mad at him. Where did you get this from?" Bellingham crossed his arms.

Gio chuckled awkwardly. "Your vibe was off. But, I guess it's fine now." Bellingham squinted.

"Good morning, you two." Hummels spawned next to Gio, forcing a violent flinch from him.

"Hey, Mats. Good morning." Bellingham grabbed Gio by the shoulder, almost as if he was restoring his balance.

"What happened last night?" Hummels grinned. "Nothing?" Gio answered, not understanding the further purpose of the question. Bellingham facepalmed.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Bellingham scratched the back of his neck.

Hummels shook his head. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. Don't play dumb." Bellingham got the hint and signalled to Hummels not to talk about it in front of Gio.

"Alright, fine. But you will fill me in on it later." Hummels backed down and Bellingham silently thanked him.

"What are you talking about?" Gio was out of the loop. "Don't worry your pretty little head about it." Hummels pinched his cheek. Gio immediately pushed his hand away.

"Why can't I know? Bellingham?" Bellingham shrugged.

"Enough of you two, I'm gonna go practice. You should as well." Hummels said, already walking away.

Gio sighed in frustration. "He really pisses me off. He thinks he can just butt in willy-nilly into anyone's conversations just because he is older than us."

"That's deep."

"Whatever. I don't give two fucks about him." Gio acted like Hummels babying him didn't affect him whatsoever.

***

The practice was nearing its end, after a few hours of doing shooting drills, it was time to head home.

Bellingham wasn't in a rush, he had no reason to be. In fact, he was the last to leave the pitch.

He grabbed his stuff from the locker room and headed for the exit.

Just as he was about to unlock his car, he heard someone call out to him.

"Bellingham, wait."

He was startled. He might have forgotten about this arrangement.

"Oh, good afternoon, Haaland." Bellingham smiled as if nothing happened between them last night.

"I didn't feel like going to practice today. That's why I am here now." Haaland avoided eye contact.

"I can see that. What brings you here?" Bellingham leaned on his car.

"Promise me that no matter what happens between us, we'll stay friends." Bellingham cringed. "Ouch. Okay."

"No, I'm serious. I value our friendship a lot. We play in the same club too, we can't be so childish."

Bellingham nodded. "Alright, I'm ready, lay it on me." Haaland sighed.

"It's not that I'm rejecting you. I just don't have a solid answer." Bellingham was surprised by the answer. "Really now?"

"Give me some time. I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later." Bellingham smiled sheepishly.

"You could just say you're not interested, you know. You don't have to spare my feelings." Haaland shushed him.

"It's not that I'm not interested."

Bellingham gave Haaland a funny look. "So, you are interested?" Haaland sighed.

"Sure. Just not interested in starting any relationships right now. I feel that the team atmosphere wouldn't be the same if we do anything like that." Bellingham nodded.

"I agree. Hummels and Reus are already too much to handle. If the whole team knew, I would probably move. Not to mention the media. That's a whole other can of worms." Haaland exhaled in relief.

"I'm glad we could come to an agreement. Whatever happens between us, stays between us." Haaland smiled comfortingly.

"I have to get going now, see you around." Haaland waved him goodbye.

When Haaland was out of sight, Bellingham got in his car, locked himself inside and sat in silence.

"Jesus Christ." He had to cool off for a moment, otherwise he would vomit and crash his car.

After giving it some thought, Bellingham decided it would probably be best if Gio knew by now.

***

"Yo, what's up?" Gio picked up. "Hey. I wanted to tell you about the thing me and Hummels were talking about."
"About time. It's not about me, is it?"
"No. It's about me. And Haaland."
"What?"

Bellingham took a deep breath. "Recently, he and I have become great lads."
"That I know. What is it?"
"Remember how you teased me about him in the beginning?"
A loud gasp was heard from the other line. "Yes?? What about it?"
"Those jokes had some truth behind them."
"Hell no. It isn't April, is it?"
"Close, it's July. I kissed him by the way."
Gio produced an animalistic sound. "Hoooooly shit.."

Gio recovered from the shock. "I fully support you though, me and you, we have our differences, but we can look past them."
"Um, ok. Thank you for being so supportive."
"I won't tell a soul. Cross my heart and hope to die.."

Bellingham smiled. "Thanks, man." "Don't sweat it, bro." Bellingham hung up.

He figured it was about time to head home.