Chapitre Trois

“I can’t believe we’re doing this…”

“What, you want to quit?”

“Not at all… I just never imagined we would ever do something like this.”

Johanna and Amber were at the Baggage Claim room, waiting to see any familiar bag on the long rolling mat. Johanna looked thrilled at that new experience. She had never left England. Not even to Scotland or Ireland like all her friends had, and inside her there had always been a great hunger for exploring that she managed to pull back and postpone all her life, under excuses of studies, work, boyfriend, lack of time, buy a new car, redecorate the flat… Now that the job was gone, studies were over, there was no boyfriend and car and furniture were new, she had run out of excuses.

“Oh, my, this is going to be so great!”

“Isn’t that your bag?”

“Hmm… Looks like it, but no, it has a different locker.”

“It’s taking too long. Most of the people who were in our flight have already left…”

“I know, it’s odd…”

They both waited for thirty more minutes, until the rolling mat was empty and everyone was gone. Nervously, they looked for some airport attendant.

“Excuse me, parlez-vous Anglais?” Amber asked to a girl wearing a uniform.

“Yes, I do.”

“Thank you. We were waiting for our bags but they have not yet shown up. Could you please help us?”

“One minute, please, I will see what happened.”

Johanna looked at Amber. “Is it noon yet? I am starving.”

“It’s almost 1PM here. Adjust your watch.”

The woman approached Jo and Amber again. “Come with me, please.”

The two friends followed the French attendant to a balcony on the corner of the room, where a fat, old man was sitting and talking on the phone. He saw the women approaching and motioned for them to wait.

“Well, that’s polite.” Jo whispered to Amber.

“Miss Seymour? Miss Hampton?” The man asked, looking at them, and they nodded.

“It’s us.”

“Sorry, madams. I’m afraid all your baggage was mistakenly held in London.”

Johanna’s jaw slightly dropped. “What? Our baggage is in London?!”

“It is, but don’t worry. You both can fill a form and we will send it to London, your baggage shall be here in a couple of days.”

“Two days? What do you mean two days?!” Amber snapped. “It’s my baggage! All my things are there! How are we supposed to survive Paris for two days without our belongings?!”

The man wiped his sweating forehead with a handkerchief. “I’m deeply sorry, Miss Hampton, but I can do no more. We will contact London and make sure it arrives here, if you agree to sign the form.”

“Fine, where is this form?” Johanna asked, upset.

The man gave both of them two sheets of paper, which they spent five minutes filling with their personal information, where they were staying and descriptions of the baggage. Amber gave the man the papers back, with a moody face.

“Eh... Bienvenue à Paris!” He grinned.

Bienvenue my arse!” Amber said, when they were already at some distance.

“That was not a very good start.” Johanna replied. “Do you at least have the important things in your handbag?”

“But of course, money, credit card, documents, cell phone, laptop, makeup, hotel reservations, tickets, all here. What about you?”

“I have it all here as well.” She sighed. “But what a shame… All the dirty lingerie is on the bag!”

“What are you complaining about? My best vibrating friend is on the bag…”