Chapitre Quatorze

“Are you okay, sweetie?” Amber asked, as she stroked her friend’s hair.

“I will be.” She replied, twisting her mouth. The airport Charles de Gaulle was crowded, and Johanna was still angry and in a bad mood, hiding under sunglasses and with a newly acquired red Louis Vuitton scarf on her head.

“You look old.” Amber said, lightening a cigarette.

“I am old. Is it a smoking area?”

“Who cares?” She checked her cell phone. “We need to hurry. Plane will leave in thirty minutes.”

Johanna nodded, sipped the last bit of her coffee and they both left the airport’s cafeteria, looking for the right gate.

“Remind me to never again come back to France.” Johanna murmured, upset. “Worst idea ever.”

Amber rolled eyes. “Right. I’m sorry. Let’s go home now.”

“Really, worst. Idea. Ever.” Johanna insisted. “Never again. I hate Paris.”

“Hey! Don’t blame Paris!”

She sighed. “Alright, you’re right. Paris has nothing to do with it.”

“Good for you.”

Johanna looked up her glasses. “I blame you.”

“What? Me? What the hell, Johanna?”

“Yes, I blame you and your stupid idea of coming to stupid Paris.”

“Alright, alright, I said I’m sorry. Can we go now?”

They walked to the plane, sitting quickly in their first-class seats before it got too crowded. Johanna had asked for the window seat, and she looked outside the glass, sadly. “So this is it.” She thought. “I am leaving this city forever. I’m leaving all the memories behind. And I’m leaving you behind.

“I’m thirsty.” Amber said.

Johanna gave her a cross look. “I was about to get in the mood where I think I am in a music clip and you ruined it.”

“Oh, sorry, Miss Drama. I will ask for a glass of water from the flight attendant.” She said, pressing the little button on the arm of her chair.

“I suppose I could use a drink…”

“That’s the spirit.”

The smiling blonde with the flight assistant uniform approached them. “Can I get you ladies anything?”

“Yes, please, I would love a glass of water, and my friend here…” Amber glanced at Johanna.

“Scotch.” She replied. “Pure.”

The girl nodded. “Alright, excuse me.”

“I’m glad we got first-class.” Amber said, trying to cheer Johanna up. “I mean, look, we have this little TV, pillow, blanket, and ah, an English newspaper! It’s been awhile; I need to catch up with the news, you want to read anything?”

“No. When you’re done, leave the crosswords for me.”

Amber started going through a few pages, and Johanna looked away, still very depressed. She felt the same as before, when she was being badly treated by her boss, with a cheating boyfriend and no self-esteem. Just ten times worse now, since she thought she had gained something from that experience, but was leaving only with a broken heart.

“Oh. My God.” Amber said. “Jo!”

“What?” she frowned.

“Read this. Oh my God, read this now!”

“Read what?”

Amber passed Johanna the social column page, and as she scanned them with her eyes, ignoring the futile news about sub-celebrities going to night clubs, she noticed what Amber was talking about.

“That’s Arturo!” she said.

There was a picture of Arturo with the beautiful blonde. They were by the side of an older man who resembled the woman very much. Both the old man and the blonde were smiling.

“Italian millionaire Giuseppe Ferrero welcomes home his son…” Johanna read out loud. “Giuseppe Ferraro, the famous Italian banker, welcomed home yesterday his son and heir Arturo Ferrero, who had been away from Italy for almost five years after the scandal about his father being involved with his assistant. Arturo travelled to many countries over the years, working to survive, and was currently in Paris when his sister, Bettina Ferrero, visited him and persuaded him to go back home. The millionaire is already thinking of hosting a welcome party for his son. ‘It’s been a long time, and of course, my boy is of age to find a woman and settle down! I’m sure this party will be perfect for him to meet our friends and find someone that makes him stay here for good!’, he declared. In the picture, the happy reunited family… WHAAAT?!”

“I thought you said he only had a sister and a mother… Is this the…?”

“It’s his sister! It’s his sister!!” Johanna screamed, happily. “Oh my God, I was wrong! I was totally wrong!”

Amber looked shocked at Johanna’s reaction. She went from deeply depressed to utterly happy in seconds.

“I have to go.” Johanna said, taking of the belt. “I have to go. I…”

“Where?”

“Italy, I don’t care, I have to get off the plane and get a ticket to Italy right now!”

“I can’t wait. I have to see him today! You read this paper, his father wants him to meet some Italian skank!”

The flight attendant came back with the drinks. “Miss, please sit down…”

“I must get off the plane.” Johanna said.

“I’m sorry but the airplane’s doors are closed.”

“I must get off now, it’s an emergency, I need to stay in Paris!”

“Miss, please, you can’t, it’s been locked and…”

“Oh, for God’s sake! I’m sick of being the good girl. Let me out now!” Johanna said, passing over a completely astonished Amber.