Chapitre Seize

Buying the perfect black dress and the plane tickets was easy; it was even easy for Amber to find where the party would be, what time would it start, and how to enter.

“You remember Casey Jones who worked on the Editorial couple of years ago? She moved to Italy, and her team is covering the party. I gave her a call and told her the situation. Our names were put on the list of her team.”

“Casey… and she just let?” Johanna asked, skeptical, as they tied their seatbelts.

“Of course! Like she would miss a headline! ‘Insane woman breaks in Giuseppe Ferrero’s party and declares herself to his son.’ Priceless!”

“Very funny.” She grumped. “But I intend to talk to Arturo in private.”

She still could not believe how stupid she had been. If only she could go back in time and speak to him properly, nothing of that would have happened; all Johanna could do was hope that Arturo would listen to her and forgive.

“What can I do, Amber? What should I do?”

“Well, there’s this option… You can go back in time and listen to Amber.”

“Oh, come on, I mean it!”

Amber smiled.

“Relax. He likes you, he is just hurt.”

“Really, you think so?”

“Of course! And you look amazing, no man could resist you!”

Johanna beamed. “Well, I know.”

“You changed! If I said that three months ago, you’d say ‘Don’t be stupid, Amber, I have a mirror…’”

“Honestly, he made me change. You see why I need to try to get this guy back?”

“He didn’t make you change, sweetie. You found your way, he just helped you out.”

“Yeah…” Johanna said thoughtfully. “You’re right.”

As they arrived in Rome, Johanna had hundreds of ideas in her mind; she had made up at least 10 different speeches and created another 10 conversations.  It had to work.

“What time is it?”

“7:30, local time. There’s time. We just need to pass through immigration now.” Amber replied.

“Perfect. And we get there in what, 10 minutes?”

“Twenty, I think. People might be starting to get there now or anytime soon, so by the time we arrive, there might not be much privacy.”

“It’s alright. I will find Arturo, ask to speak with him in private, and everything will be fine.”

They reached the immigration cabin, where a tall, angry man asked for their passports.

“Here…” Amber handed hers to the man. “And Jo, perhaps we should already book our tickets back to London? Jo?”

Johanna did not reply. She had frozen in a rather comical pose; her hand inside her bag and a shocked expression on her face.

“Jo… What’s the matter?”

“I… I think I lost my passport.”