Chapitre Neuf

“So, you first moved to Switzerland, then Austria, then Germany, then Greece, and finally France?” Johanna asked, counting on her fingers.

“You’re forgetting Netherlands before Germany and Hungary afterwards.” He completed, kissing her forehead.

She stared at him. “How can you do it? I don’t think I could bear living like this. You’re an adventurer, an explorer. You have no roots. You don’t get attached.”

Arturo laughed. “You say this like it’s a bad thing.”

“Well, isn’t it? Don’t you ever feel like settling down? Don’t you ever feel lonely?”

He sighed. “It’s been working for me so far.”

Johanna insisted. “Don’t you have family.”

“We aren’t close. Long story, hard to explain and not amusing.”

“I am curious.”

He smiled. “Well, we are just not close.”

“Parents? Siblings?”

“Mother. A sister.”

“Don’t you miss them?”

He sighed. “Do we really have to talk about this?”

Johanna realised she had reached a soft point, and did not insist anymore.

“I’m happy the way I am.”

After another torrid night making love, they spent a few hours talking about their lives; delightful, enjoyable and fun hours, interrupted by Johanna’s mention of his family.

“I’m sorry.”

He looked at her kindly. “Don’t be, sweetheart, it’s alright.”

She was going to say something, but his cell phone rang. He picked it up, looked at the screen and sighed.

“I have to take this.” Arturo said. “Excuse me.”

He left the room, and left Johanna thinking that it was probably the girl she  had seen him with the previous night. Or another one of his booty calls. Not that she minded. It was fine with her. It was part of the agreement.

She grabbed her cell phone and called Amber.

“How come you have time to call me when you’re in this Italian god’s bed?” she asked, teasingly.

“Well, the Italian god is not in bed now, so, I have some time.” Johanna sighed.

“What, why?”

“He had to take a call…”

“Again?”

“Well, not that I mind.”

Amber laughed. “Are you sure? I’m starting to think that you do.”

“Nah. It was part of the agreement: No attachments.”

“Right.”

“So, why are you still awake?”

“Mind you, you’re not the only one who is having fun!”

“What? What are you doing?”

“Spending a torrid night on a threesome.” She paused, delighted with her reaction on Johanna, who gave a shocked “Oh!” “In a threesome with pizza and wine. Perfect.”

Johanna laughed. “That’s more like it.”

She heard a noise and figured Arturo was coming back to bed.

“I have to go now, he is coming back. Wait for me in the morning? I want to go to the Louvre.”

“Oh, wonderful, a cultural thing in contrast to the slutty action.”

“Exactly. I am sexy and instructed.” Johanna smiled, with a genuine pride in her voice.

“You got it girl. Have fun.”

Arturo entered as Johanna hung up. He looked a bit curious to her. “You were on the phone too?”

“Well, yes, I also had my matters to take care of.”

“Oh, of course…”

He laid down by her side once again, still looking as if he had something stuck in his throat. Johanna was not going to be the first to say anything about that, not at all. Then, he finally said it:

“We did agree with no attachments, didn’t we?”

“Well, indeed.”

“Alright. Good.” He kissed her forehead. “Goodnight, bella Giovanna.

She laughed. “Giovanna?”

“It’s the Italian version of your name.”

Johanna, or Giovanna, put her head on his chest, feeling his warmth and hearing his heartbeat closely. “I like being Giovanna. Good night, Arthur.