Chapitre Dix-Huit

And then Johanna Seymour died, at the age of thirty-something, when a meteor fell on her head and saved her from the shame of living after such embarrassment. Some say they found plane chocolate hidden on her bra.

No, not really. But hell, she wished it had happened.

What actually happened was that the police arrived before stunned Arturo could say anything. They arrested Johanna and Amber and quickly dragged them away from the party.

Casey Jones got the headlines of her life the next morning: “Crazy woman in love breaks in Giuseppe Ferrero’s party – Sources say she had an affair with the billionaire’s heir Arturo Ferrero, and would be expecting a child.”

“I cannot believe we are here.” Amber said. The orange of their jail uniform was particularly cruel to ginger Amber. “I’m going to kill you woman, I swear to God!”

“I’d much rather die… This is just so humiliating! By now, all my friends and my family knows about this and I can just picture their faces.”

“Oh, what about my family and friends?! Dear Lord, I’m done! I’m never gonna get married! I’m never gonna be a successful socialite! I’m done!”

“A what?”

“You think I want to work at magazines for the rest of my life?”

“Amber, he didn’t even say a word to me…” Johanna said, depressed. “He didn’t stop people from taking us. He hates me. He literally hates me…”

Amber’s mouth moved as if she would make a sarcastic comment, but instead, she just rolled her eyes and shook her head.

“He must be laughing at us.” Johanna continued her monologue. “He must be thinking he is the ladies killer. Ah, I bet he is, that selfish heartless son of a b-”

“Johanna Seymour?” the officer called from the door. She immediately stood up.

“It’s me.”

“You have a visitor.”

“Oh, wonderful, must be the lawyer I asked for. I used my call to ask for help from Casey.” Amber explained. Then she looked at the guard. “But shouldn’t we both go?”

He shook his head. “Gentleman said only Miss. Seymour. If he asks to see you I will come back for you.”

Amber winked at the officer, looking up and down at him; he was quite attractive. Young, tall, tanned and athletic, with a severe expression and a thin mustache. “Well, of course you will come back for me… So, are you a tenant?”

“Amber, control yourself.” Johanna grinded her teeth. “Shall we go?” she asked the officer.

“Uh… Yes, sure, Miss Seymour, this way.” He replied, handcuffing her.

They walked through the corridors, passing by the cells. Johanna hoped the lawyer would help them to go back to London as soon as possible, and maybe ease their charge. Maybe a few thousands in fine to pay, but at least they wouldn’t be arrested.

“He’s in  the room number four. There is a table and chairs where you both can talk, but you’ll be monitored.” The officer said, showing her the way.

Grazzie.

As he took off her handcuffs, he looked around, and whispered to her. “So, you’re the lass who broke in the Ferreros’ party? Did you have an affair with Arturo Ferrero?”

Johanna closed her eyes infuriated and did not reply; she walked in  to the room, hoping the lawyer would not ask her about the whole thing.

But instead of a lawyer, Johanna found Arturo in the room, sitting by the metal chair, smiling mischievously at her.