Chapitre Dix

“I wonder what it’s like to be close to her.” Johanna said, excitedly.

“Must be boring. I’ve heard she is small. I want to see the big ones.” Amber winked.

“Oh, you dirty mind… I’m talking about the Mona Lisa, and you come with sexual insinuations.”

“That’s only natural for me, since I’m absent of it, unlike you.”

The Louvre Museum looked even greater than they had thought. Amber looked amazed to see the great glass pyramid. Johanna grabbed her new Canon camera and started taking shots, for Amber’s annoyance. “Not that I don’t like taking pictures, but, woman, you take way too many pictures!

They passed through the Pre-History gallery, after Amber threatened to throw a rock at Johanna’s camera if she took one more picture, and moved on to the Classic Era. Johanna barely had time to get mesmerized by the beauty of the painting surrounding her. She carefully turned off the flash of the camera, ready to take a shot of a particularly big Caravaggio when she was surprised by a hand touching her shoulder.

“Jo?”

She almost dropped her camera, surprised. It was no one else but Arturo, standing before her, smiling with a surprised face.

“Are you following me?” She asked.

“I could ask the same thing. Bon jour, mademoiselle Amber.” He charmingly nodded to Amber.

“We are tourists, of course we have to visit the Louvre!” Johanna replied.

Arturo grinned. “The fact that I am no tourist doesn’t make me less of an art lover, Miss Seymour.”

“Art lover, Arturo?” Amber asked, approaching them and looking meaningfully at Johanna.

“Art is already in me, even in my name. You can’t find anyone who knows it better than I do.” He replied, proudly.

“Oh, I don’t know. I believe Jo here can so easily beat you…”

He looked at Johanna. “You know about Arts, Miss Seymour?”

“As a matter of fact, I do, Mister…” she went silent, and felt her cheeks burning with the sudden rush of blood; she had forgotten his last name.

Arturo looked at Johanna and laughed, amused. “Now I feel used. You don’t even know my last name! You didn’t bother to call! I was waiting for hours!” He said it in such a girly way that made both women laugh.

“Alright. Mind telling me again?” she asked.

“Yes, I do mind. I’m afraid you will have to remember.”

“Damn it!” Johanna thought. She looked at Amber when he looked away for a brief moment, but she shook her head; she didn’t remember it either.

“And if you need a guide, Johanna Marie Seymour and Amber Natalie Taylor, I’d love to serve you.” He bowed comically.

“Dear Lord, he remembers both our entire names!” Amber laughed. “You are in bad sheets, Jo.”

“We will accept the tour, sire.” Johanna replied, pretending to be offended.

The whole tour was a debate between Johanna and Arturo about the paintings. Johanna finally had found an equal to her passion for arts and History of Arts. Arturo was extremely intelligent. They had deep discussions about Bernini and Caravaggio, discussed the possible insanity and geniality of Borromini, the similarities and differences between Sanzio, Michelangelo and Da Vinci… It was so easy, so comfortable to talk to him, Johanna thought. Amber  rolled her eyes all the time, when the two of them engaged in a heated debate, and pretended to yawn. It was like this until they finally reached her.

“The Mona Lisa”. Johanna murmured, fascinated.

Oui, La Gioconda.” Arturo said. “Isn’t she beautiful?”

“Eh…” said Amber. “I still say it’s overrated.”

“She’s magnificent…” Johanna said, looking fixedly at the portrait, observing each detail, each curve, each shadow. In her opinion, Da Vinci was a genius; and that portrait was one of the many proofs of that. She made sure her flash was turned off, and took a picture of the portrait.

“If you want, I may take a picture of yourself by her side, Johanna.” Arturo offered.

“I’d be very grateful.” She smiled, handing him the camera. Thinking a bit, she decided to imitate the pose of the Mona Lisa, ignoring Amber’s exasperated look. Arturo smiled and took the picture.

“You will have to send me a copy after you print it.” He told her. “La Gioconda e La Giovana. Perfect, isn’t it?”

“I would say so.” Johanna grinned.

“Well, I think it’s the end of line.” Amber said. “We spent so long in the galleries, they will be closing soon.”

Nodding, Johanna put the camera back on its case and inside her bag. Arturo escorted both of them outside, passing through the inverted pyramid and the small pyramid in the main hall, explaining to Amber the beauty of the symmetry of that piece of art. Johanna couldn’t help but to smile; Amber could not tell him he was a loser or a nerd.

As soon as they left the museum, Amber’s phone rang.

“Good Lord, 3 missed calls?” she said. “How come I haven’t seen them?”

“The statics of the cameras and security devices inside the museum, so cell phones don’t work.” Arturo explained, as his own cell phone started to ring. He checked the screen quickly, and sighed. “I’m afraid I will have to leave you ladies now.”

“Oh, are you sure? Johanna and I are going to have some hot chocolate…”

“Chocolate!” Johanna said, out of sudden. “Your last name is Ferrero!”

Arturo looked surprised, and burst into laughter.

“And how did you connect chocolate to that, Jo?”

“Because of the chocolate of course!” She said, proudly. “It’s my favourite chocolate…” she stopped, knowing that it could have double meaning. “Oh, my did I sound racist?”

“You’re precious, Jo.” He said. “I’m glad to be your favourite chocolate, and even gladder that you remember my name. I don’t feel cheap anymore.”

His phone rang again, and he sighed, frustrated. “I must go. It was a pleasure to spend such lovely afternoon with you ladies.”

Gallantly, he kissed Amber’s hand, in a very French manner, and then turned to Johanna, kissing her on the lips. “I’ll call you.”

As he left, Amber poked Johanna. “Oh, my God. He is perfect for you.”

“What?”

“Both of you are weird nerds with the same taste. You even talk the same. It was like being with a male clone of you!” she said.

“Oh, well, he is something, isn’t he?” she replied. “But you know… No commitments. And you saw the phone calls. I’m sure he has a date tonight. Which is fine by me.” She added, quickly.

“Yeah… sure…”

Johanna looked back; she could still see Arturo walking away to the other direction. “It’s fine by me.” She thought, sighing.