Chapitre Dix-Neuf

“Oh, well, well, look who is here.” Arturo said, barely containing his satisfaction.

Johanna sighed; “Damn, where’s the meteor when we need one?

“Look, I know what you have to say.” She started, feeling her cheeks burning. “My bad, okay? I’m sorry.”

“What? I didn’t say anything!” He laughed.

“You don’t have to. I know, I messed up and I am sorry.”

“What are you sorry for? Breaking in my father’s party and house? Falling into the pool and embarrassing yourself? Giving the media material?”

“Well, yes, all that.”

He didn’t look upset; actually, it seemed like he was having a lot of fun with the situation, which angered Johanna. She was very aware of her messy hair, lack of makeup and the ridiculous orange suit, and Arturo looked as handsome as ever, carelessly sitting on the metal chair with the arms crossed in front of his chest, and a cynical smile.

“Well, apologies accepted.”

Infuriated, Johanna spat at him. “Why did you come? To keep up the humiliation? Don’t you think I’ve been shamed enough? Well, be happy, here I am, paying for what I did. You’ve seen me, and now you can go.”

“I really don’t think you’re in conditions to tell me to leave, Jo.” He replied, calmly.

“But I can call the guard and ask him to take me.” She insisted, going to the door.

“He won’t listen to you. I asked him not to tell you that it was me who was your visitor, and if I tell him I need more time with you, he will leave you here for as long as I need.”

“Oh, so now you want to rub in my face you’re rich and powerful?”

“No, I’m just saying you should stay here because I’m not done. I think you know very well I’m not the type who rubs my wealth on other’s faces.”

“What do you want, then?”

“I want to know why did you come to Italy. What did you want to tell me? And don’t say it’s nothing, I know you wouldn’t bother to come here and have all this… law issue, let’s say, just for a whim. You wanted to see me and talk to me. Well, I’m here to listen.”

“It doesn’t matter now.” Johanna sighed. “Just forget it.”

“No. I won’t leave until you tell me.”

“You’ll find out there is a limit of visiting time, Mr. Ferrero. If you pass it, they will escort you out.”

“Then I will come back tomorrow, the day after and the day after until you tell me.”

“Soon I will be deported to London.”

“Then I’m afraid I will have to go to London. Don’t make it difficult, Johanna. Just tell me. You’ve come all your way to Rome, and now you have a chance to be alone with me and say whatever you want.”

Johanna considered his words for a few seconds, looking impassive to Arturo; he responded with the same intensive stubborn look. Finally, she gave in.

“Very well, then.” She sighed. “I came here to say that I’m sorry.”

“You’ve already said that.”

“You said I could say whatever I wanted. Will you let me?” She asked impatiently.  Arturo made a gesture of zipping his lips and smiled.

“I’m sorry for what I said to you that night. I saw the newspaper where the party was announced and that the woman I saw you with was your sister. I felt really bad. I should have listened to you, and I shouldn’t have said those things.” She bit her bottom lip and looked down. “Believe me, I didn’t mean anything. I would never think such thing of you.”

He waited. Johanna looked again at him, knowing that she had to face him to say what she was about to say.

“The reason why I said all that is because I was angry. Angry at you, of course, but mostly, angry at myself. I felt stupid because I broke our deal. We agreed on not having strings attached. I broke it. I fell in love with you”

Johanna thought that by that point, the difference between her face and a tomato would be none, and as it could not get worse, she didn’t look down.

“And, oh well, look at me, I’m now in jail for that.” She continued, in an ironic voice. “You must think I’m crazy, and I don’t blame you. Also, I’m not asking anything from you. I know we agreed on one thing from the beginning, and it’s my fault that I couldn’t keep up with the promise. I’m sorry. I just felt you should know.”

Arturo sighed; he was no longer smiling. He stood up and walked to her direction.

“Thank you, Jo. And I want you to know that I’m paying for your fine, and Amber’s. And you’re fine, because I have something with me.” He took something off his pocked. Johanna gasped.

“My passport!”

“They told me you said you had lost it, and I asked for a search in the plane. It wasn’t hard to find. So, now it’s signed and you’ll be legal. All the… embarrassment will be solved once the fine is paid. Amber is fine as well, since she is not here illegally, she was just your accomplice. I’ll make sure both of you will be allowed to come back more times if you want, as long as it’s not in such  a scandalous way.”

Johanna’s mouth was opened, shaped as a perfect “o”.

“Also, I feel like you should know… I said I had a mother and a sister… I never mentioned my father for two reasons; the first, obviously, I didn’t want anyone to connect me to him. I worked really hard to become anonymous, working around Europe as a DJ, a waiter, you name it. I had a point, of course. Years ago, my mother found out she had cancer. She was a strong woman, despite the illness she would still live an almost normal life. My sister and I made her company back then.”

“Until one day, she found out my dad was cheating on her with his assistant. The news were all over them. The pain and the shock were too much for her. My mother gave up; she stopped taking care of herself, missed chemo sessions, wouldn’t even eat or leave the bed. She died three months later.”

The story fascinated and surprised Johanna. She didn’t interrupt him, noticing it was important for Arturo to get that off his chest.

“I blamed my dad. I still do. My mother and I were very close and we were very much alike, in nature. That’s when I decided to run away. It was hard at first, to find a place where I could build my own life, but after some time, everyone forgot about my dad, the scandals and my name was forgotten as well. I found peace.”

“I also decided to never commit myself to anyone; my mother had died after being cheated, hurt, humiliated and fooled by the man she loved. And I had always been just as emotional as she was… I was afraid I’d get that hurt.”

“I understand…” Johanna whispered, feeling the tears rolling down her cheeks. “It’s alright…”

“Until I met you, Giovanna.”

Arturo took Johanna’s hands, to her surprise.

“Did you think I did not break the deal as well? How could I not have? You’re the most amazing, fascinating, beautiful and insane woman I’ve ever met. Of course I love you too, you silly woman. And I don’t regret having broken the deal. You’ve hurt me, I won’t deny that. But you proved yourself after you had all this trouble of coming here. I’d never had expected this.”

“I-” She started, completely dazzled, but Arturo put a finger on her lips.

“You are one crazy woman.” He smiled. “And I love you.”

Without waiting for Johanna’s response, Arturo kissed her; a passionate, loving kiss, that in her opinion, was better than any chocolate in the world.