Chapter 20: The sweet release from her suffering and its adverse effect

[...........] (??) In my bed, a pink-headed fairy slept peacefully. I watched her sleep as I observed the cues happening in the map. 

What the fuck happened to her? As far as what I have understood with this situation, this must be another case of illegal slavery. I can still remember the faces of Miss Marie and Sir Matthew as I brought her here. They were more surprised however with the fact that I brought her collared, and not because she was a fairy.

.....

.....

.....

[So you found her in an abandoned house?] (Irene) Madame witch was also called along with the priestess.

[..............Yes] I'm still a bit shocked by the discovery though.

[What's with the pause? Haaah.....As much as I want to reprimand you about the act of trespassing ones' property..........I have nothing to say except good job in saving her] (Irene)

[*Cough Cough*. Yeah I appreciate the compliment, but at least stop smoking here!] 

[Oho? My bad then~] (Irene)

[Can I please treat her now?] (??) The priestess quipped with a slight annoyed expression in her face.

[Ah yes, please, if you may] 

[Well then........<<GODDESS OF LIFE AND FERTILITY, PLEASE GRANT THIS SERVANT YOUR POWERS TO SAVE YOUR PEOPLE, GREATER HEAL>>] (??) Waving the staff at her hands, the orb on the tip glowed with a golden color and then a magic circle moved from the feet to the head of the fairy lying in the bed.

Her pained expression turned soft and calm and peaceful made me heaved a sigh of relief. Seeing her relieved of the pain, it made me think of the atrocities this small thing has experienced, yet she survived it all.

[She's a strong fairy isn't she?] (??) The priestess smiled as she caressed the head of the sleeping fairy.

[Still, we can't do anything about that collar right?] (Irene) 

A rustic colored collar is still attached at her neck, seeing it I can't help but to clench my fist in anger. 

[It's long been abolished, but to think some people still do it. Moreover to a protected race, the gods will not stay silent about it, especially Mother Gaia herself] (??)

[Gaia?] As in mother earth? Gaia herself?

[There are a lot of gods out there, and one of those that stand atop others is Mother Gaia herself. The goddess of earth, fertility, and bountiful harvest. She's also the goddess the fay worships] (Irene) Yet some fearlessly still do it.

My face soured up thinking about slavery. When in times of war, it is said that is is better to die by the blade than to live as a slave. A person is freed upon death, but when they live after a war they are either a hero, a slave, or a loser. 

However, to enslave a person without any meaning, it is immoral and unethical. To begin with, slavery was implemented back then to make those enslaved warriors as trading cards when talks are happening between countries, as workforce replacements to those that died in the war.

This is a very sensitive topic and scenario, and I can't help but be curious as to how they did it and why.

[So are you saying that there is no way of removing that thing on her neck?] 

[Haaaaah. That is why this is so hard, the slaver usually puts a specific type of magic circuit into that collar that makes the curse of slavery so difficult to dispel. Most of the times it comes with a surprise too, and it's not a good surprise either. It usually cripples the magician who tries to dispel it without the consent of the slaver, it would even go as far as to kill the magician or any priest that does the curse removal spell] (Irene)