XXIII- Playing the hero.

I'm a bad author.

My inspiration for this fic kind of disappeared, but it's back and so am I :D

Bold= Swedishhhhhh.

NOT EDITED, I REPEAT NOT EDITED. MY EDITOR IS CURRENTLY SLEEPING.

T H I R T E E N | PLAYING THE HERO

The food looked good, like really good.

Carter knew she shouldn't be as enticed with the feast that lay only a foot away from her face, but she was. Oh man, all she wanted to do was stuff her face with the unknown food until she couldn't cram any more in. Mindless chatter surrounded her from both sides, but her eyes were locked on the peculiar piece of meat, it's skin was a golden crisp brown that just looked too good to resist.

That, she had decided, was going to be the first thing she snagged.

As Grounders and Sky People alike continued to talk, mainly of the new treaty that had been set, Carter could only wonder whether the Grounders would allow for her to take some of the food back to camp with her, not only for herself but for rest of those that stayed in Camp Jaha. She could only imagine Wick's reaction to the tender, succulent-

"-Carter stop," A voice interrupted her thoughts. "You're going to start drooling."

"I can't help it." She mumbled, not taking her eyes away from the food to look at Raven who had elbowed her in the ribs. "It looks amazing."

Raven let out a short, sharp breath from her nose in somewhat amusement and Carter figured it was best to start paying attention then or she would never know when they were allowed to begin their feast. Some part of her knew she shouldn't want to eat after witnessing the corpse of her best friend go up in flames, she knew she should still be grieving much like Raven was, but she couldn't bring herself to it. The other part of her, the larger part, knew that forever grieving for Finn wasn't going to bring him back, but living in his name was something that would keep his memory thriving.

And if by living it meant she had to eat out of all their food, then so be it.

Carter watched as her father handed over one of their delicacies which just so happened to be a century year old bottle of alcohol. The Commander's second-hand-man took it from Kane and poured it into a wineglass of some sort before bringing it to his lips. Carter frowned. Wasn't that meant for the Commander?

And then it suddenly made sense. He was making sure they hadn't poisoned it or something equally as sneaky. Smart.

The Commander raised her cup and began to give a small pep-talk, though Carter wasn't interested in what she had to say. The only thing the engineer was interested in was what was the food that was tantalizingly laid across the table. She wondered how long the Commander would talk for before she could sink her teeth into a good piece of meat.

And shortly after, her question was answered as the Commander was cut short of her speech... by the gurgling sounds of Gustus as he collapsed forward. The gurgles turned into a series of vicious coughs and Carter watched with wide eyes, her jaw slack. Suddenly, her appetite ceased to exist. He was poisoned.

By the alcohol.

Apparently, Carter wasn't the only one there that came up with that conclusion as Indra unsheathed her sword and pointed towards their new allies, her expression venomous. "It was the Sky People!"

Grounders pushed the tables of food out of the way aggressively as they tried to get to the others. Carter was bewildered as Raven yanked her back. She had absolutely no idea what was happening. Why would anyone in that room want to sabotage the treaty when they had sacrificed to much to get it? She struggled to comprehend it.