XV. Vent- 1 Carter and Wick- 0

This is your last moderately happy chapter, kids.

After this I'm just going to repeatedly stab you in the feels...

On that note enjoy!

Bold= Swedish

F I F T E E N | VENT- 1 CARTER AND WICK- 0

"So let me get this straight... After almost sacrificing your god damn life, you find it acceptable to just sneak off with some boy, a criminal might I add, without saying so much as a word to the rest of us?" Kane scowled. "What on earth were you thinking?"

"Hah, it's funny because you said earth and we're actually on-" Carter cut herself off and masked her awkward laugh with a cough. "Sorry, dad."

"Sorry, dad? That's all you have to say for yourself?" Kane reprimanded, his pacing increasing in speed the more frustrated he got with his daughter. "Twice," He held up two fingers for emphasis. "Twice I thought I was going to lose you today. Both of those times were due to you being thoughtless, reckless and careless to what other people were feeling! Do you really think that is acceptable behaviour?"

Kane continued with his lecture, but by this point, Carter had zoned out. She blew out the air from her cheeks and shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Bellamy and the engineer had stayed out longer than either expected, and by the time they had made it back to camp, there was a very angry Chancellor waiting for his daughter. Carter almost smiled at how normal it felt; her father waiting up to lecture his daughter on sneaking out and boys. Notice how the operative word of that sentence is almost. Having a man of high political stature as a father was something that Carter loathed. It meant he was good a speeches, and even better at keeping his daughter awake as he reminded her on why it was not okay to sneak away with a guy who had a fairly questionable reputation.

Although, Carter would admit that sneaking away was probably the wrong thing to do, especially since she had been so close to death before hand.

"... You know, I've learned a lot of things, vital things, in your absence. I know how bad of a parent I was to you, even when I thought I was doing the right thing I'm trying to make up for that, I really am. But this isn't a one way street. I can't be expected to make all the effort here, Carter, you've got to help me some way. I just want to keep you safe, but it seems as if you want otherwise."

"That's not true." Carter defended meekly. "I appreciate the fact that you want to keep me safe, but I'm old enough to look after myself, and I've been through enough death experiences to know how to hold my own. I'm really happy that you're trying to make an effort, dad, and I know I should probably try harder too..." She sucked in a deep breath. "But you showed up at the same time I lost my best friend, the person who was there when you wasn't. Finn meant more to me than anything I can use in comparison, and it messed me up-- losing him. I'm trying to ease the pain, I'm trying to move on like I promised but coming back from something like that is easier said than done..."

Kane nodded his head. "I know." He whispered, "I lost your mother, remember? I watched her die just like you did, and it messed me up pretty bad, too. But that's the difference between you and I, Carter, I had no one to turn to when that happened, so I caved in and sought comfort in my work, leaving you behind when I should have really stepped up my parenting game. You, though, you have people here for you, ready to hold you when you break, willing to help mend you again." A faint smirk flickered on his lips. "I thought you would have came to me because I'm your father and all, but surprisingly you went to Bellamy... probably because he's hotter than your old man."

"You didn't just say that." A horrified look crossed Carter's face as she grimaced.

"Hey, it's true. He's a pretty good looking guy. I mean, I can understand why you're so infatuated with him-"