XVII- Reaper bait

I'm back from my hiatus and just because you're all devoted readers, I made this chapter more than 5000 words!

Enjoy reading!

Bold= Swedishhhhh :)

S E V E N T E E N | REAPER BAIT

"Okay, so let me get this straight," Wick cleared his throat, his eyes stayed focused on the bumpy, dark terrain ahead of them. "You're going to Mount Weather where all the assholes are to save your damsel in distress boyfriend because Blondie said he could go on a suicide mission?"

"Uh, I wouldn't word it like that, but yes." Carter nodded once.

"One question," Wick didn't give her a second to answer his indirect question to ask her a question. "Why?"

"If I don't then who will?" Carter retorted, turning her upper body in her seat to face him. "I've seen too many people I care about die and done nothing about it, thinking that someone else would. I'm not doing that again."

Wick flicked his eyes to her with a sorrowful expression before pursing his lips and looking back at the foliage ahead. He understood what she meant, but he just couldn't understand why out of everyone that had survived thus far, she was the only one doing anything about saving her own. Wick had come to the conclusion a long time ago that Carter was either really really stupid, or incredibly brave.

Either way, he deemed it admirable.

***

Carter stared at the woman sat at the desk with a deep frown, her entire body still as she focused on the what her mother was doing.

It had been three days since she saw her mother talk to herself, that time she was sneaking through the vents, she tried to forget about it, tried to blame it on her mothers exhaustion or something similar-- but Carter couldn't just push it away. She knew something was happening to the woman who had cared so much about her, she just didn't know what.

Some part of the fifteen year old thought that maybe her father might do something about it, maybe he could comfort Carter and tell her that her mom is fine, she's just tired...

... But she knew better than to rely on her father.

He spent more time at work than he did at home recently, and it didn't go unnoticed by either Carter or Mia. It was almost like he didn't want to be there, like he knew what was happening, he just chose to turn a blind eye on the matter.

"Mom?" Carter sighed, realizing that if she wasn't the one to help than no one would be. "Mom it's getting late, maybe you should go to bed."

That's when Carter suddenly heard the low scribble of her mother's pencil stop and nothing but white noise filled the room. Mia's head was still low, her body still shielded her work.

"Your father isn't home yet." Mia observed, her voice barely an octave over a whisper, and deathly monotone. "I think I shall wait for him."

"You don't know how long he's gonna be though, come on it's almost one in the morning..." Carter stood from her seat and walked over to her mom, each step was filled with trepidation. "Father will understand."

Carter reached her hand out to rest on her mother's shoulder and the second it made contact, Mia's head shot up and snapped towards Carter, startling her. The small blonde was almost certain there was a malicious snarl on Mia's face when she turned to face her, but she could have never been sure for it was quickly covered with a tight lipped smile.