XII. The Prince of Nirasus

Noelani is pissed when I show up late to our next lesson. Not that I'm surprised, but it doesn't feel great to be on the receiving end of Noelani's harsh glares.

If looks could kill...

"I wasn't sure you were going to show up, Miss Wilde," she drones sarcastically.

I roll my eyes. "I got caught up at the bar," I mutter.

The mayor huffs, not appreciating my attitude, I'm sure.

She leads me through the foyer and into the sitting room. I take a seat on the couch and the mayor follows, sitting across from me.

"Tell me about your vision," she orders.

I blush involuntarily at the mention of the vision.

So she likes women. Who cares? I just don't understand why this piece of information bothers me so much. Lately, my thoughts have been turning towards Noelani way more than I am comfortable with. I blame my conversation with Arabelle– she has me all stuck in my own head now.

"I was in a ballroom," I tell Noelani, trying to get this over with. "In the castle, I think. You were dancing... with a young girl. You were young too," I quickly blurt out. "Younger," I correct.

Oh, Deities. Someone put me out of my misery. Please.

Noelani merely raises an eyebrow, silently telling me to continue.

"The queen showed up," I say softer, remembering her harsh words towards her daughter. "She was upset because you were supposed to address the crowd."

Noelani nods, cutting me off. "I remember."

I shut my mouth, not sure what to say to that. Something along the lines of, Mothers, am I right? But the words never form and I'm left floundering in the awkward silence.

"Now that you have a better understanding of your visions, do you think you could replicate it?" Noelani asks, apparently refusing to address the elephant in the room.

"I could try," I say, my brows furrowing. "I'm sorry, are we not going to talk about my vision?"

"We are talking about your vision, Miss Wilde," she snaps impatiently.

"The content of my vision," I clarify, fighting the urge to scowl.

"Miss Wilde, do you think you can have another vision or not?" the mayor repeats flatly.

I take a deep breath– my patience is wearing thin. "No," I bite out. "You're not getting away with that anymore."

The mayor studies me, cocking an eyebrow. "With what?"

"You call me by that name and expect it to be the final word," I accuse.

The woman has the audacity to smirk. "Well, you never argue."

"This isn't a game!" I snap, getting flustered. "We're really not going to talk about what I saw?"

How did I get here? I didn't want to talk about my vision and now I'm practically begging Noelani to do just that.

I want to understand, I realize. I want to know about her life. And her family. And the reason she is the way she is, I guess.

I frown. That's weird.

"No. We're not," Noelani deadpans. "Now can we get back to the lesson?"

Deities, she's so infuriating. Why won't she just talk to me?

"Or would you rather reschedule?" she asks impatiently.

I sigh, accepting defeat. Let's be honest– I'll probably die of old age before convincing her to open up to me.