XXXI. A Sea of Mirrors

I wake up to a familiar sight. The odd-shaped silhouette of my dresser taunts me in the dimly-lit room. Or rather, Arabelle's dresser in her guestroom in the apartment above the bar.

I'm in Moonwake.

And I feel like I've been run over by a bus.

My arm shoots to my hip, trying to find the leather pouch that should be tied to my belt. I'm shocked to find that I'm wearing a pair of cotton pajamas. My clothes from Armenta are nowhere to be seen.

"Mila," Arabelle says, the relief evident in her voice.

I try to turn towards her voice, but the strain on my neck is too much.

"Don't move," she tells me. "I should get Noelani."

I hear her get up to leave and I panic. "Wait!" I call out, wincing as my voice comes out little more than a hoarse whisper.

Arabelle rushes to my side, a glass full of water in her hand. She helps me take a drink, carefully cradling my head and even wiping the excess water from my chin. I wave her away, impatiently thanking her for the kind gesture.

"We're in Moonwake?" I ask for clarification. "How?"

Shouldn't the place be swarming with Tsulonian Government Officials by now? Or at least angry Council Members. I look around worriedly– it can't be safe here.

"I was hoping you could explain that, Mila."

I furrow my brow.

"We were fighting in the castle," Arabelle explains. "No one knows what happened. One moment we were there, and the next we were here. Noelani assumed it was your magic based on the way you collapsed afterwards."

"It was me," I clarify. "I was trying to get us out of there. I just didn't expect to end up in Moonwake."

Arabelle sighs, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear and checking the time on the wall. "Noelani's been worried sick about you. I practically had to chase her out of here the first couple of days. She's been visiting you everyday, making sure that you're alright. She'll be here any minute now."

I flush involuntarily. She's been checking up on me.

"She's okay?" I ask. "And Mak too?"

"Cormak's fine. His injuries weren't as bad as they looked– just lost a lot of blood. He's all healed up now. Good as new."

I nod, relieved that my friend is alright.

"Mila, I need to tell you–"

"Wait, did you say days?" I interrupt. The information hits me suddenly. "How long have I been out?"

Arabelle winces at my sudden outburst. "About two weeks," she says softly.

"Two weeks!?" I grab the blanket, pushing it aside as I try to move myself to a sitting position.

"Mila, stop!"

Arabelle reaches a hand out, attempting to keep me in bed. I grab her arm and shove it away. I need to get up. We need to get to Armenta. Everyone at the camp must be worried sick.

Mama.

"Just as stubborn as ever, I see."

I pause at the new voice– Arabelle lets out a sigh of relief as I stop struggling.

My heart skips a beat. "Noelani," I breathe.

She's not dressed in Armentian clothing either. She's in a dark red dress, fitted perfectly to her body, and a tall pair of black heels. It's weird seeing her like this again. Memories flood my brain suddenly of a cold mayor with a face that's impossible to read. Except she's not the mayor anymore. She's Noelani– strong, confident, and beautiful.