1: Duties

When you padded into the room of the family head-namely, your father-he was looking happier than he had been as of late. Conflicts rising all over the fiefs with the Kamo and Gojo clans were at the forefront of his mind (something that you were not permitted to know); however, Zen'in Naobito smiled down at you when you sank to your knees in front of him, dark blue kimono settling around you like calm waves.

"Father?" you said timidly, immediately noticing Naoya's rather annoyed expression beside him.

"Daughter," he set his drink down on the table next to him. Zen'in distilled shochu. His usual. "I have some news you may not care to hear, but seeing as you have failed to wed the shoguns out of spite, I do not care at this moment."

You weren't quite sure what to say to that, so you settled for a small, "you need not worry of my feelings...anything you permit me to know, father, I surely am able to take it." There was a pleasant smile on your face, one that you had perfected after twenty long years as a woman in an old fashioned clan. Naobito had taught you well, and taught you how to represent him well.

"You know your duty," he started, "you are young, healthy, of age to marry and, for lack of better words, firtle."

"...I beg your pardon, Master?"

You didn't need to look over at Naoya to see his amused smirk. Your older brother could hardly contain a big grin from spreading on his face, and it was no wonder he was so difficult to get along with.

Surely better than your ten older brothers, who you never spoke to in the first place. You could not recognize them had they walked past you on the street.

"Gojo Satoru," he said languidly, "you are to be wed to Gojo Satoru, exactly one week from today, on the 31st of August, and produce him an heir."

Your eyes stilled on Naobito's pleased frame, mouth opening to speak although no words came out. You willed yourself to keep your face steady, emotions in check before looking slowly over at Naoya, who was taking great joy at your invisible anguish. You wanted to scream at him and kick your feet and beg him not to wed you...but you couldn't.

It was first, your duty and second, an act that would most certainly bring you punishments. You had learned from a young age, by example of one Maki Zen'in, that any act of defiance over the family customs would land you in a bad position. It had happened many times in your upbringing, and your father often struck you so silly that you had unpleasant marks on your face for weeks.

Gojo? The Gojo clan?

You had met the head of the family and a couple of kids one time years ago and had made a good impression, but Gojo Satoru did not ring any bells to you.

"Is there any confusion?"

Looking back to your father, you smiled quietly. "Not at all."

"Great cooperation on your part!" he held up a finger and pointed to you, "although I must warn you: should you not be able to produce such heir, this war between us and those filthy Gojo bastards will come to no end, no matter how much of a last resort this marriage is," once he finished, Naobito looked over your scarily calm facade and smirked. Facing Naoya, he ordered, "escort her to her chambers, Naoya. That pest will help her organize for the trip on Saturday morning."

"Will everyone from the family be in attendance, father?"

"Of course we will," he confirmed, "Sunday evening is the date, so enjoy your last week at the estate while you can, daughter."

He had always taken a little liking to you in the past year or so. You were everything Naoya wasn't: levelheaded, compliant, and amiable. Everything he raised you to be-to be of a good show for him.

With a slight bow, Naoya came to you, who was still stationed on the ground and walked past. You, as usual were to follow three steps behind him regardless if he was your brother or not. He certainly did not treat you as such. To be blunt, this whole arrangement sucked. You knew in the back of your mind that there was absolutely nothing that you could do. No protesting, no complaining...you just hoped that this Gojo Satoru was at least kind to you.

"How does it feel, sister?" Naoya threw a look over his shoulder, "knowing that your only purpose in this life is to be a breeding mare?" He was laughing as you followed behind him, and you clicked your tongue. It was no secret that you sometimes disliked Naoya, and every time you both walked by the kitchens, servants would crumble at the insults you threw at each other. You never argued in front of your father though, no. Never.

"At least my spot is secured as a co-ruler of the Gojo fief, brother. How does it feel knowing your spot as the heir could be taken by our little Megumi?" You asked him sadly, and the look on his face could've killed you.

"Know your place, witch," he spat as your bedroom loomed in the distance. As customs went, he slid open the door and let you in, with a harsh slam echoing behind him as he looked around your humble room. "Where is that rodent?"

"She may be in the gardens," you said as you opened the window. You disliked many things about your family customs, but the estate was so beautiful. Maple trees littered the distance, fine-kept shrubbery, brick paths and your favorite tulips settled outside your window were always a sight to see in the morning. "There she is," you pointed at the green-haired woman, who was sitting in the sun absentmindedly. "I would also appreciate you doing me a favor, Naoya."

"What?" his hands were on his hips as he looked at you.

"If you see Toji-san anywhere, could you please send him my way?"

"Why?"

"I'd like to inform him of my sentence," you explained as you faced him, "same with Megumi."

"Sure," he said before he walked to the door, "sister, I am aware that we aren't particularly close, but if you need something, tell me. It is still my duty to protect you from harm even if that duty is taken by Gojo Satoru."

Duty. Oh, how I despise that word.

"Of course, Naoya. Thank you," he shrugged while you bowed, and he left you to your devices. Looking out the window again, you called out to your most favorite cousin, closest friend, and what Naoya and Naobito called pest. "Maki!" she looked over quickly and you waved her over, and not a moment later she was at your window looking expectant.

Maki, who's forest green hair was up, glasses adorning her sharp features and thin frame wrapped in a light yukata.

"What did the head want?" she asked, and you frowned. "Tell me, what troubles you?"

"I am to be wed to Gojo Satoru in one week, and I will leave the estate on Saturday."

Her eyes widened as she looked at you, but as was your farce, you kept a neutral expression. She knew better, and she despised this family with her whole being. She looked at you for a small moment before shooing you away and climbing through the window.

"Gojo Satoru?" she questioned as she touched down on the floor of your bedroom, and you nodded as you sat down on the bed. "Have you ever met him?"

"No, I have not. Women are not permitted to go on trips, remember?" you smiled through your worry, and Maki sat down next to you with anger brimming through her.

"Women are not permitted to do anything," she noted, "especially someone like you, who is worth something to their family."

"You are worth something, Maki."

"Not to them."

"But to me."

"I know," with that, Maki wrapped an arm around your shoulder, and you finally let yourself grieve. You let yourself feel sad in her safety, looking down at the dark blue fabric adorning your frame, it was then that you cursed the notion of being a woman.

Worthless is what you were, except for in business negotiations. You were a pawn, bound to belong to yet another man, to carry his child and be separated from your own family. Worthless woman, who cannot make her own decisions at any time except when using her tears.