29: Happy birthday Satoru

You stood behind the newly emerged daimyo and smoothed down the black kimono across his broad back. Satoru had not been around you very much since his father's death, but you blamed it on the funeral proceedings and his council bothering him to no end. And today was the twenty-second day of December.

Satoru was putting his father to rest and becoming the fief's newest daimyo on the first day of his twenty-ninth year.

"Do I look okay?" he asked, staring at his feet.

"You always look beautiful." you murmured. You then gently set your hands on his side and turned him so that he was face to face with you. While working on making sure his attire was perfectly straight, you could feel Satoru's eyes staring into your skin. You had barely reunited with him yesterday and already had something catastrophic happen.

When did the heartache end?

The black fabric was staring to feel hot under your hands and you could feel yourself sweating even in the winter chill, distended belly and swollen breasts pushing against the tight lapels of your own kimono. You risked a look to your husband and upon seeing him smiling fondly at you, the bashfulness you felt could not help but make its way onto your countenance.

"Would it be inappropriate if I felt you up right now?"

"Yes, I believe it would," you said, a short laugh escaping the both of you. "Master Gojo may be extremely offended of you doing such a thing at his funeral."

"I'm Master Gojo."

"Not until the late Master Gojo is with the earth once more," you said with your finger up in a knowing manner. "You seem in high spirits."

"I am a little sad. But I have other things to worry about."

"I know," your fingers laced through his momentarily, "and I am here if you need anything at all."

"Like?" a teasing smile was on his face before you knew it. You humored him for a small moment.

"Like...refreshments or desserts or, something like a back massage? Maybe?"

"Anything else?" At his insistence of admitting a need for sexual favors, you merely shrugged before he'd hissed out a small, "being coy, huh? I like that." You only rolled your eyes playfully.

Someone stepped behind the carriage in which you stood. "Gojo-sama, it is time." Looking once more at Satoru, he swallowed before offering a weak smile. You gave him one right back, shuffling out of his way and following your three steps behind him, but not before giving a small squeeze on his palm.

The Gojo clan's place of rest was out in the countryside, far away from the clamors of carriages and shopping stalls. It was in a grassy field in which the lawns were always maintained, or so Satoru had told you. The first time you had seen it was today. Today, wherein the Gojo children, grandchildren, and in-laws were present. Your husband informed you that he would leave as soon as the blessings were said and the pyre was lit. It was not a social event, as the Gojo family was so distant with one another.

He was right, it seemed, because the moment he walked down the path as the head of the family, everyone was already quiet and settled on their knees. Satoru stood before the cloth-ridden body with the torch in his hand as you bowed down on your knees with everyone else. Nothing, not even the crunch of the dead grass and winter breezes were heard over the rites.

You did not look up from your spot on the ground, instead listening to your husband's words as though in a trance. You were sad, yes, but you did not know Master Gojo at all. You didn't even know his name.