A Hard Place

"And you're sure they had guns?" Mia shouted to me as I was nervously walking around the place.

"Yes, I told you!" I shouted in response, stopping myself "They had guns, and they shot them dead!"

It was dead silent at the moment after.

"Why is this happening?"

"What do you mean?"

"This isn't the first time this has happened. It's happened before. I don't even think this place is safe anymore"
"I know, neither do I. We need to get out of here. You and I both know that"
"Even so, where would we go?"

I stood silent.

"The Northwestern Province. That's where all the Furs who seek a better future go" I replied

"That's all the way across the country. Are you sure?"
"We need to. It's the only way. The longer we stay in Anthropolis, the more in danger we put ourselves in"

Mia didn't reply. Only looked down. I slowly went in to hug her as she slowly began sobbing, and I couldn't help but sob as well.

"We need to go. Come on." I said as I disconnected from the hug and walked upstairs.

"And my father?" Mia shouted to me from downstairs

"He's safer where he is. I wouldn't worry about him."

Clothes were packed, and food supplying for a while. An unknown amount of timed. I prayed for enough. It would take days to cross the country. Weeks, perhaps. I prayed and prayed. For myself and Mia. We entered the car, packing all of our stuff in and I ignited the engine. I didn't hit the gas, but looked at Mia, sitting next to me.

"Do you have everything?" I asked

"Yeah, I have everything" She replied

"Are you sure? Once we cross the Wall, there's no going back"

No reply. I hit the gas and drove away.

There's this dream. I don't know what. I can't see my own dreams, but they're clear as daylight. It's gone when the day comes. A dream is a dream. No time for to dream now. A war is to be won.

"Drew, wake up"

"W-What? Crap, I'm sorry. I'll drive now" I replied, sitting up and finding myself in the back seat of the car.

"No, it's fine. We're here"

"The Wall?"

"No. Rosemont."

I looked out the window of the car, and there I could see the massive city we slowly drove by. Buildings of gray concrete, of sadness and gloom. The buildings cleaved the heavens, it seemed. At the center of the city was a massive pyramid shaped building. It was the only thing that was of different color than the rest of the city. A bright beam shot up from the tip of the pyramid, and spotlights shone besides it. It was dark outside already.

Nobody was outside. Rosemont was nearing it's curfew. The car stopped near a hotel. The engine turned off as I got out of the car, and Mia followed behind me.

"We'll stay here for tonight. We move in the morning." I said

"We're close to the Wall."

"I know. We'll go to it tomorrow"

I opened the door for Mia as both of us walked inside the hotel room. I closed the door behind us as I sat down on the bed, and Mia looked out the window. I slowly stood up and looked outside as well. I could see the massive pyramid in the distance. The most striking landmark of the city. I looked back as I walked into the bathroom, but was stopped by the loud sound of a train passing by. The ground was under construction, exposing the tunnel below. It was a decent height.

I resumed as I walked inside the bathroom and closed the door behind me. I took off my watch as I stripped myself of my clothes, and took a shower. It's felt like days since I last shower. It has been days. We've been driving for 3 days now. One last time.

"Drew?" Mia asked me as I layed on the bed

"Yes?"

"Do you think there's good across the wall? Good around the world?"

"A world full of peace cannot exist. Nor can a world full of hate survive."

I marked my very words.