𝟎𝟔

TRIGGER WARNING
This chapter contains strong language and abuse.
—————————————————

After her last class, Hana was exhausted. Her brain felt like it was on overdrive, trying to absorb all the new information and social dynamics she had encountered throughout the day. She blinked her eyes a couple times and yawned as she walked out of the main building.

Her phone vibrated in her pocket and she saw that it was a call from her dad. Hana stared at her phone as it rang, trying to decide whether or not to answer. She took a deep breath and rolled her shoulder  before answering, expecting the inevitable.

"Appa..." she said, trying to sound cheerful.

"Hana, Jal isseosseo?" her father asked, his voice sounding strained.

"Appa, I know why you're calling." Hana interrupted before he could even bring it up. "You want me to come home to
visit."

There was a pause on the other end of the line before her father spoke up again. "Yes, Hana, I do. It's been too long since we've seen you."

As if you care.

Hana rolled her eyes, knowing that her father only wanted to discuss her career. He never cared about her personal life or what she wanted. She was just another one of his many money makers.

"Listen, Mr. Hwang is waiting at the campus entrance, he'll be bringing you to the penthouse. I'll be there waiting for you so we can have dinner together and catch up." He said before ending the call.

Hana groaned. The last people she wanted to see after the sucky day she's had were her parents. She had hoped they would be too busy to bother her, but it seemed like they had other plans.

When she got into the car she was greeted by a familiar smell of Mr Hwang's cologne. They greeted each other with a bow as the journey began. Mr. Hwang tried to make small talk, but Hana being too tired, couldn't bring herself to engage. She just wanted to get home.

—————————————————

When she finally arrived at the penthouse, she was greeted by her mother, who was wearing a designer dress and sipping on a glass of red wine. Ye-Rim made a show of hugging Hana, but it felt fake and forced.

"Oh Hana, I've missed you so much." Her mother said., pulling out of the one sided hug. Hana rolled her eyes, "Save it mothe-"

"You look tired, Hana. Did you not sleep well last night?" She interrupted, looking her up and down. "And your hair looks so dull, do I need to book you a hair appointment?" Ye-Rim said, inspecting her daughter like a piece of meat on display.

"I literally just came back from schoo-"

"Goodness, look at your arms dear, have you been cheating your diet? You look well over 50 kilograms.

Hana felt like crying, but she held back her tears and took a deep breath. She knew that her mother only cared about appearances and didn't understand the importance of inner beauty and self-love. But boy did it hurt hearing those words come out of her mouth.

"Is that all you care about?" Hana challenged. "You haven't seen me in four year and those are the first words you spit into my face?" Hana scoffed in disbelief. —"The least you could have done is ask how I am, or.. or if I enjoyed my first day at an actual school.