Chapter Four

Within the next couple days Enora found herself visiting the King in his chamber's when most of the Keep laid asleep in their beds. During the light of day, Enora spent her time attending to her children and spending time with her sister. Alicent was curious about Enora's talks with the King, eager to know everything she could.

Enora had gotten used to only seeing the King late at night, after all he was a very busy man. But now she stood only a few feet away from him as he sat on the Iron Throne, only members of the King's Guard separating them. Enora stood beside her sister and Father as Lords of the Realm knelt before Princess Rhaenyra and swore fealty to the King's chosen heir. Enora felt a sense of pride for the Princess, afterall she was the first woman to be named heir to the Iron Throne and would one day be Queen.

The young widow stared up at the King, he looked powerful sitting upon a throne of broken and bent swords. Enora couldn't help but admire his figure, for the first time since her husband's death Enora found herself thinking of another man. She wondered if the King was a selfish or generous lover. In their stolen moments Enora had caught a glimpse of the man underneath the crown, he was kind and thoughtful and wildly intelligent. King Viserys studied the histories in his free time, pouring over records and accounts and spinning tales of Old Valyria for her. He even asked after her children, wondering if there was anything he could do to help ease her stresses and worries.

For a moment lilac eyes met Enora's green ones, as if the king had felt the weight of her gaze. And though Enora and her family stood at the front of the crowd, a great distance separated the two, almost as vast as the ocean. And yet with his eyes on her, Enora almost felt like she was standing right in front of him. The corners of her lips lifted into a smile, her eyes softening at the slight uptick to his lips. She gave a slight nod, hoping he could read the approval and encouragement on her face.

Viserys hadn't told anyone about his doubt. Since his wife and son's death he had wondered if the gods were punishing him. He had pushed Aemma too hard, too far in his quest for a son. The weight of the crown and his House had pushed him down, threatening to bury him. So much had been dependent on him having a male heir, Viserys hadn't wanted to disappoint all the lords who had chosen him to rule. He wanted to make his father and grandsire proud, and yet Viserys felt like he had failed. He felt like an imposter, like a pretender. The crown had fallen onto his head and now he was placing it onto his daughter, his only child, all while the realm expected him to remarry and have a son.

The members of his Small Council had all smiled and agreed that Rhaenyra would make a fine heir all while whispering behind his back, and pushing their daughters and female relatives his way. And yet Viserys ignored them all except one. When Enora had visited him that night he had almost turned her away, but then she had spoken of her husband and Viserys felt understood. And when their eyes met, Viserys hadn't felt alone anymore. The King took comfort in his oldest friend's eldest daughter, if he had to remarry he wanted it to be to someone who saw him as a man not just the King.

Enora would be a good Queen, Viserys thought.

Rhaenyra was going to be a wonderful Queen, Enora was certain of that.

★・・・・・・★

Once again Enora Hightower found herself in the King's chambers although unlike all the other times sunlight streamed through the windows. In the light of day the King's model of Old Valyria seemed more impressive and if Enora closed her eyes she could almost picture herself walking the streets as the King's voice filled her ears as he told her of his ancestor's homeland.

"The Valyrian capital was built into a volcano, much like Dragonstone." The King spoke, watching Enora's face as she listened to him. This was the third time Enora had asked him to tell her of the old freehold, she was the first person to ask him to speak on the matter of their own volition. Aemma had listened to him early on in their marriage, but as the years passed she found herself annoyed by the topic. "And the Dragonlords, the highest of the nobility lived at the volcanic face, closest to the source of their magic and power. And this was the Anogrion..."

Enora opened her eyes as the King trailed off, she turned to him meeting his gaze. Realizing what he was waiting for, Enora smiled. "That is where the bloodmages worked on their craft, correct?"

"So you do listen to me," Viserys smiled. "I was beginning to worry I was boring you."

"Never." Enora assured the man, turning back to the stone creation before her. "It is truly wondrous what you've built."

"Oh no, I only pore over the histories and provide the plans. The stonemasons build the structures."

"And without you doing so, this would not exist." Enora stepped closer to the King, watching as he began fidgeting with a small stone dragon. "Do you believe that Westeros can be another Valyria, Your Grace?"

"That depends, whether you speak of the Freehold at its height or at its fall. Over a thousand dragons, a navy large enough to span the seas of the world. The glory of Old Valyria will never be seen again."

The King dropped the stone dragon he had been fidgeting with, shattering it against the floor. Both bent to pick it up, though Enora was younger and faster. The sharp edges pricked at her fingers, drawing a small amount of blood. Viserys noticed this as Enora handed the pieces back to him, he quickly placed it to the side and took Enora's hand in his grasp. A small bead of crimson welled on the pad of her index finger.

Green met lilac as the two stared at each other. Enora's eyes remained locked on the King's wondering what was going through his mind. Viserys' eyes trailed over her face, tracing the soft angles of her face. His thumb softly caressed the skin of her palm, it felt as if his touch had lit her skin on fire. Warmth leaked into Enora's body from their point of contact, filling her being.

"I shall call the Grand Maester." Viserys announced, although he made no move to release Enora's hand.

"There is no need, it is only a scratch. It shall heal in no time." Enora's hand close around the King's thumb holding it tight. "I promise I am alright."

The King opened his mouth to speak, but when no noise came out he tightly closed his lips and smiled. Viserys didn't know what to say to the young woman before him, he had never been known to possess a silver tongue. And even if he did he wasn't a normal man, he was King.