Chapter Thirteen

The next day, Enora had followed her husband into the Small Council's meeting chambers. Her father had looked hopeful at seeing her there, thinking Enora had listened to him and convinced the King to name Aegon heir. The Queen took pleasure in watching her father's face fall as Viserys announced his intent to send aid to the Stepstones. The King did not allow any discussion on the matter and quickly ended the meeting.

Otto had lingered in the room as long as he could, wanting to speak to his daughter. But she made no move to leave the King's side and Viserys had ordered him to leave. On his way out Otto had passed the Princess, watching as the doors swung closed behind her.

"Make haste to Dwarfstone, Ser Addam." Viserys ordered the knight, handing him a small roll of parchment. "Hand deliver this to Prince Daemon yourself."

"At once, Your Grace." Ser Addam bowed.

"We shall pray to the Seven for your safe journey." Enora smiled at the knight.

"Thank you, Your Grace." The man nodded as he turned to exit the room, the rest of his small squadron following after him.

"Dwarfstone?" Rhaenyra asked as she joined her father and stepmother at the head of the table.

"I'm sending word to Daemon. Aid is sailing to the Stepstones."

"Did he make call for help?"

"He would sooner die." Viserys smiled at his daughter. "But his king does not mean to allow that."

The room was silent for a moment as Rhaenyra took a seat in the Hand's chair. Enora could almost picture how angry her father would be if he knew.

"Do you not think my decision correct?" Viserys asked at his daughter's continued silence.

"It is no consequence to what I think as I'm often reminded." Rhaenyra sassed. The Princess wondered why her step mother was in the Small Council's room and why her father had asked her here. The only answer she could come up with was that her father had decided to replace her.

"Daemon is thorn enough in my flesh. Will you insist on taking after him? Must everything be a battle?" Enora placed a hand on Viserys' shoulder hoping to calm the man down.

"If you refer to your attempt to marry me off to Casterly Rock."

"Your father has since agreed that would not be a wise match." Enora smiled, trying to ease the tension building in the room.

"I am sorry, Rhaenyra. I was trying to help you. Will you not be helped?"

"Viserys." Enora whispered trying to avoid another argument between father and daughter.

"Why must every effort on your behalf be resisted as if to the death?" Viserys continued, ignoring his wife.

"Because you mean to replace me!" Rhaenyra spat. "With Enora's son, the boy you always wanted."