Chapter Six

Enora once again stood outside the king's chambers, the hall was empty except for the King's Guard standing watch, the same one from her first visit. The widow took a deep breath wrapping her arms tight around herself. This time she was protecting her children. With another deep inhale she nodded to the Kings Guard. As he pushed the door open the knight announced her. "Lady Enora Hightower, Your Grace."

Enora wiped her sweaty palms on the red skirt of her dress, Alicent had picked it out. The neckline was one of her lower ones, showcasing the tops of her breasts.

King Viserys' head perked up as Enora entered his rooms, he couldn't help but think how radiant she looked in red. "Enora, I was not expecting you." He said still sat at his desk.

"I apologize, Your Grace, I could not find sleep." Enora spoke, stepping further into the room.

"Yes, you must be worried for your father." Viserys stood up, meeting Enora in front of his desk. "But rest assured, no harm shall befall him, I sent a couple of King's Guard and a small battalion of knights with him."

"I fear another matter has ensnared my thoughts entirely."

"What is it?"

"Earlier, before my father interrupted us, you were going to say something."

"Yes. That." The King looked away, staring into the flames burning in the fireplace.

"Your Grace, I may drive myself mad wondering what it could be." Enora grabbed his hand causing Viserys' gaze to snap back to her. "I have an Idea, but I fear I might be wrong. Please put an end to this torture."

"I should be speaking to your father about this before bringing it to you."

"I have already been married once, I have two children, I am my own woman and I can make my own decisions."

"Yes I am aware." Viserys took a deep breath, glancing at the fire before turning back to Enora. "I know some women prefer not to remarry after their husband's death, but if I am to remarry I would like it to be to someone I enjoy speaking to. Someone kind and good and who can make me laugh. A loving mother, but someone that wouldn't want to supplant Rhaenyra. I believe that is you."

Enora paused, thinking over what the King had said and her father's threats. She thought of her late husband and her children. "My first marriage was not one of love, it was chosen for me. I do not want to go through that again, I shall only marry for love. So if you do not love me, I cannot marry you."

"Kings do not marry for love. They marry for strength."

"If this was about strength you would wed Lady Laena without hesitation. You do not have to love me yet, I only want to know if you can. If it is possible that you could love me, Your Grace?"

"Viserys."

"What?"

"My name. Call me my name."

"Could you love me, Viserys?"

"Since the night you entered my rooms you have consumed my thoughts. I cannot sleep, I cannot breathe without thinking of you. It feels like someone has seen me for the first time ever. I am not a king in your eyes, just a man, just Viserys. So as just a man, not a king, will you marry me?"

"Yes."

★・・・・・・★

The next morning Enora had been asked to attend a Small Council meeting along with the rest of the Nobles residing in the Red Keep. The two Hightower girls stood behind their father's chair. Otto had been pleased to learn upon his return from Dragonstone that his eldest daughter would be queen. Though for the first time since she could remember Enora didn't care about her father's approval. Instead her attention rested solely on the King, she could tell Viserys was stressed from the way his shoulders were tensed as he looked out the window at the end of the room.

"Good Morrow my lords," Viserys greeted the room as he turned from the window. "I have decided to take a new wife."

Enora glanced around the room at Viserys' announcement, her eyes landed on Lord Corlys whohad  sat up straighter, a smug smile growing on the white haired man's face. Viserys' own eyes had landed on his daughter, seeking her approval. At Rhaenyra's nod he continued.

"I intend to marry the Lady Enora Hightower before springsend."

Lord Corlys stood from his seat, anger clearly written on his face. "This is an absurdity. My house is Valyrian, the greatest power in the realm."

"And I am your King." The room was tense as Lord Corlys glared at the Hightowers. Realizing he had lost, the Lord of Driftmark stormed from the room.

"Rhaenyra." Viserys called to his only child, reaching a hand out for her to take.

The Princess looked between her father and his intended, a small smile forced onto her face. "Congratulations, Father, Lady Enora. May your marriage be a happy one." 

"Thank you, Princess." Enora smiled at the young girl who was to be her stepdaughter. "I hope we can become close."

Enora truly did mean it, she did wish to be close to the princess. She wished for a happy marriage full of love, where both of their children could grow together. 

AN: The Next Chapter is the wedding!

-ELE