Chapter Eleven

That night, Viserys had taken to his wine. He had tried to speak to his wife when he had returned from the Kingswood, but she had ignored him and disappeared into the crowd. For the first time in his life, Viserys felt alone. He had lost his brother. He had had his first wife killed in an effort to have a son. His daughter hated him for remarrying him. And his second wife was angry with him.

All Viserys wanted to do in that moment was speak to his wife, he wanted to tell Enora of his doubts and listen to her pretty words as she calmed his mind. But she wasn't speaking to him and it was all his fault. He had broken his promise to her, allowed the small council's worries to taint his decision.

"Your Grace," Jason Lannister spoke, capturing Viserys' attention. The Lord of Casterly Rock stood in front of his king holding a large spear in his hands. "I had this forged in the Golden Gallery in honor of Prince Aegon."

A servant took the weapon from the Lord Paramount and brought it to the Throne for Viserys to inspect. "It's quite a thing."

"I hope it might provide the Killing stroke against your white hart. The King of the Kingswood. It's as if the Seven themselves have blessed this day."

"Thank you, for your generosity." Viserys spoke, handing the weapon off to a servant. The king reached for his goblet, hoping Lord Jason had gotten the hint to leave, but of course he had not.

"I would be honored to take the Princess Rhaenyra to wife, Your Grace. What I offer you, the crown and your daughter is strength." The lord looked smug, probably thinking that his speech had gone over well with the King.

But Viserys was insulted, "Do you think that House Targaryen wants for strength?"

"If someone offered you more dragons, would you not take them?"

"Do you have dragons to offer?"

"Casterly Rock is a splendid seat. Rhaenyra may take her place there by my side without shame, and feel herself well compensated for her loss in station."

"What loss of station?"

"If you were to name young Aegon heir, Your Grace."

"And when would I be doing that?"

"I had assumed, as he's your firstborn son. Well, many of us had assumed-"

"Many of us, you say? Have your bannermen questioned my choice of heir?"

"Of course not, Your Grace."

"It is your sworn duty to report rebellion stirring in my kingdom."

"Rebellion? There has been nothing of the sort, Your Grace. I only-"

"I did not decide to name Rhaenyra my heir on a whim. All the lords of the Kingdom would do well to remember that." When Lord Jason didn't speak, Viserys dismissed the man. "Thank you, for the gift."