Chapter One

"Riley, you're going to be late if you don't drag your ass out of bed." I rolled over, looking at the time. 6:30. Why did she have to do this to me? I slowly rolled out of bed, making my way out of my room and into the bathroom.

"RILEY!" She yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

"I'm up. Jesus Christ," I said back, more to myself than to her. I took a quick shower. I ran a brush through my hair and wrapped up in a towel. I headed back towards my room. I opened my closet doors, debating what to wear. I decided on a basic dark washed jean, a grey sweater, a grey scarf, and a grey beanie with black flats. After I was dressed, I threw all my school books into my bag and headed downstairs.

"Look who finally listened to me." I ignored her as I grabbed a bowl and dumped cereal into it. "I made eggs, you know." I poured milk into the bowl and sat at the table. "Why can't you ever appreciate a damn thing I do for you?" I rolled my eyes, dropping my spoon in my bowl.

"Because you don't do anything for me. First off, you're a bitch, all the time, and then you go out of your way to impress me by trying to be nice. News flash, it doesn't work like that." Her jaw dropped. I wasn't sure if she was upset or what, but something was showing on her face.

"You ungrateful bitch." Next thing I knew, a pan was flying at my head. I ducked as it smashed into the wall. I grabbed my bag, leaving my dishes behind, and headed for the door.

It was a long drive to school with the music blaring. I was doing everything I could to keep my mind off of what happened, and the fact that I had to go back there tonight. I was positive that she was going to end up killing me before I graduated. One more year, Riley. One more year. That was probably the only reason I enjoyed being smart. I was able to skip a grade, so I was that much closer to being free.

I pulled into the junior parking lot, which was basically empty, and threw my car into park. Unfortunately, it was only the being of the year. I placed my head in my hands, taking deep breaths, trying to calm down. When I finally felt okay again, I turned my car off and grabbed my bag. I headed down the hill towards the cafeteria, where I knew everyone would be.

"Riley, over here," I heard when I walked in the door. Emmy was sitting in the lounge with a group of girls that I really didn't get along with. When she saw the look on my face, she grabbed her stuff and headed over to me. "I'll catch you guys later," she said with a wave. "Not again," she said with a sad look on her face.

"Yeah, again," I said, quietly. Emmy wrapped me up in a hug, nearly squeezing all the air out of my lungs.

"What happened this time?" I pulled out a chair and plopped down, dropping my bag beside me.

"It was honestly stupid. She bitched because I didn't get out of bed; she bitched because I didn't eat her eggs, and then I told her how it really was, and she chucked a pan at me." Emmy's jaw dropped, and she immediately started feeling my head. "She didn't hit me, Emmy. I knew it was coming." She let out a sigh of relief before sitting down.

"We need to get you out of there. I need you to live through graduation with me!" A small smile cracked on my face. "There's that smile I love to see." I let a real smile out, and Emmy's smile grew. The first bell rang, signaling we had to head to class. "I'll catch you later, okay?" I nodded as I headed in the direction of my class.

The chairs were practically empty; there were a few students buried in their book. I plopped down into a chair towards the back. The second bell rang, and no one else had shown up. I pulled my notebook and textbook out, waiting on the teacher. Someone came running through the door. She was young and looked to be in her mid twenties.

"Sorry I'm late everyone. I'm Ms. Miller, and welcome to calculus." She seemed lost as she spread her papers out across her desk. "Alright, since it's the first day-" she was interrupted by someone walking through the door. The teacher looked just as confused as the rest of us. "And who might you be?"